View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 03:33 PM
HamerDown
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
Well considering you do have a different deal being in a boat, I would opt to plug the PV in the secondary for starters. This is to make sure you have sufficient fuel to start with when the secondaries open up. You will need to take some time to tune it, to find out what it wants for fuel. I would put a vacuum gauge on it, and if you can spring for it a wideband O2 system it would make tuning a whole lot easier. If it were me, I would disconnect and tie the secondaries closed and tune the primary to start with. You need to learn to properly read the plugs. Once you get the timing and idle set up, run it for some short WOT bursts and stop quick, shut it off and pull a couple plugs to look at. As long as plugs are OK try some extended cruising, pull plugs again. Once the plugs look good (and may take a couple sets to set it up) hook up the secondaries and run some extended higher RPM runs, check the plugs again. If it looks rich you may need the PV, and the vacuum gauge will help determine where it needs to be. I would also possibly stagger the PV vacuum #'s, higher in the front and maybe a little lower in back. Finding the load point that requires more fuel will be a little more difficult without a wideband and will require some time with it the first time out. Make sure you get it up to operating temp as well.

Here is a good place to read up on plug reading.
http://www.dragstuff.com/techarticle...ark-plugs.html
I thank you again for the informative reply...looks like I'll have my work cut out for me getting this thing right.
I won't be able to use the wideband O2 system as my headers are water injected to keep the chrome on. Headers come up and over the rear of the boat.
I can use a vacuum gauge.
Thanks