Old 12-25-2010, 01:47 PM
TopspeedLowet
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: Not a problem on the belt stretch

Originally Posted by Julianthe3rd
Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
Although the longer belt will be expensive, there will be no stretch issues what so ever concerning the belt length due to your high mounting position. Your alignment or squareness on the alt to the water pump and drive pulley is critical on gilmer type belts to keep them on there pulleys. Do not tighten it like a V belt. I run them with just enough tension to keep them on the pulleys and not much more, however the longer the distance between pulleys the tighter you may have to have it to keep it running smooth. A one inch wide belt would be plenty to turn your water pump and alt. Looks like you are set up for a blower belt, should be plenty strong.
Bruce
The belt i have is a 1 1/2" belt. So you think it woulc be no problem running it the way it is with a longer belt? Ill give it a shot, worst that could happen is the belt could throw and chew up the pulleys. lol
Your wider belt will look better than a one inch one would with that distance. Remember not to get tighten happy on the belt and you will have no problem. Watch the belt alignment as I mentioned previously and you will be set for good.
Bruce