View Single Post
Old 06-14-2009, 12:45 AM
fbodyjunkie
JOURNEYMAN

Default Overheating issues

I have a .040 454 8 to1 compression with BB2 heads, running a F-2 procharger. Right now it's on pump gas just for break in and to drive it around on the street to work the bugs out of it. Has a CSR waterpump, small restricter in it. Also tried with none in it and still same problem. Has 12 an hoses run to a Griffen Aluminum radiator(27x 16x 2 core), 2 12" stagger fans with shrouds. It has an interccoler in front of the radiator and a trans cooler. If I drive it from it being cold, I make it about a mile or mile and a half before seeing 220, any more driving without stopping goes right to 240. Would not think it should creep up that fast or not cool while driving under 3000 rpm's. Has antifreeze in it. Have tried lower timing( running it at 27 to 28 degrees total with this set up), richening the fuel mixture(C&S specialities carb) checking for good flow in the radiator and it has it. It is a new motor and I would have thought it would have ran cooler being low compression. Race gas just keeps it running cooler for a little longer then pump gas. What am I over looking? This was built more as radical street/ drag but the cooling issue would kill it at the drags too. For those that it matters to, the F-2 is set at 22PSI but doesn't do much at the lower rpms and is going through an air to air intercooler. Engine should make around 800-900 on a street tune and 92 octane and 1400 on a race tune and gas .I'm going to look at maybe a dead cylinder tomorrow as it only idles down to 1200rpms but runs smooth. Any suggestions would be greatly appreicated as I've ran out of ideas at the moment. Thanks