View Single Post
Old 10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Originally Posted by kend

This is a solid roller race application with a single carb on gasoline that will be run on a stand before heading to the dyno shop, how many hours should I put on it before changing to synthetic oil? What break-in procedure would you suggest?
Just the way I do it. Fill with break in oil. Start motor and run doing all the checks, leaks, timing, etc. until you have good heat in the motor. Let it cool, pull filter and cut apart. Replace filter and lost oil.

Go to track. Make a few passes 3 or 10 no set number, whatever you feel comfortable with. Come home cut the filter apart and change to the oil of your choice. I have been running the Amsoil Dominator racing. I have had great results with it, but I am going to be changing to Lucas 10w-30 synthetic racing oil. I can get the Lucas for about the same money, they are huge supporters of my sport, after researching I believe it will work a little better with methanol and I have never liked the way the Amsoil turns brown from red even though it doesn't hurt a thing.

JMO

Curtis