View Single Post
Old 11-06-2007, 04:13 AM
bjuice
Administrator
RACING JUNKIE

I AGREE WITH THE TIMING ISSUE..

who set TDC ?....I would recheck all of this if i were you...the only true way to set TDC is to pull the head and place a dial indicator on #1 .....what you can do that will be somewhat close...is take off the 1,3,5,7 valve cover ( assuming your chevy)and all spark plugs ( easier to roll over motor)....roll motor over until you see #1 piston all the way at the top of cylinder..a flash light will do...the 2nd and most imprtant thing is make sure both valves are closed on the #1 piston when its up..its possible for #1 piston to be up and the valves be open...this is called over lap....many people have made the mistake of getting #1 up but did not take off valve cover to make sure both valves were closed..and their timing was 180 degress off...which will not work i assure you...

once you do this roll the motor over to where your pointer on the harmonic balancer is on "0" degrees....if TDC was set up properly beforehand this should be TDC....NEXT JUST ROLL MOTOR ON AROUND REAL SLOW AND PLACE THE POINTER WHERE YOU WANT YOUR FINAL TIMING TO BE EX" 35 DEGREES, 37 DEGREES...ETC.....

you must roll the balancer on around to the desired timing..if not and you tray to start at "0" ..it will not fire..

hope this was descriptive enough for you.

Brian

"I'M YOUR HUCKLEBERRY ! "