Thread: E85 PROS & CONS
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2009, 10:23 AM
billhendren
MASTER BUILDER

Default Re: E85 PROS & CONS

Originally Posted by g67
Due to the continued rising cost of fuel (TORCO $6.69) and I have a street strip car I have been thanking of making a change to E85 and I would like to hear some PROS & CONS experiences from those of you that have tried it.

Thanks for the help

Phil
We have been running E-90 in a crate circle track engine and a couple of drag race engines.
The only drawback is the fuel if purchased at service stations is all over the map on ethanol content.
We buy E-100 from the distributor and cut it back to E-90 for the low comp ratio circle track engines. they make peak power between E-85/ E90 above that the power falls off. the drag engines are required to run pump fuel so we cut it to E98.
Torque on the crate engines is up 5 ft.lbs from any race gas we have tried and top end power is up 4 H.P.
The drag engines gained 4 lbs torque and the top end power was the same as race gas.
Willy's has very good E- carbs but you need to specify the ethanol content you are going to use. he has an in expensive test tube thats calibrated to measure ethanol content,all you do is add water to the first line,fuel sample to the top line,shake it up and in a couple of minutes it will separate and you read the percent of alky at the parting line between the alky and gas. Bill