View Single Post
Old 08-01-2011, 02:59 PM
TheRabbit
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: 12v to 16v Conversion

Originally Posted by chads55chevy
Originally Posted by TheRabbit
The only thing you have to do is buy the battery and put it in. Once you do you'll wish you had done it a long time ago!
Thank You Rabbit!! Is it really that easy???? Can you tell me what are the advantages.
The advantage is a 16 volt gives your ingnition more than 14 volts which is what it needs to opperate correctly. When you run a 12 volt battery and no alternator your not giving the ignition more than 11 to 11.5 volts (unless you run an alternator). You can put 3 12 volt batteries in a car, but you still have 12 volts. Also 16 volts spins the starter like a diesel motor turns over. fast and hard enough to start big inch high compression motors.

I've heard all kinds of stories about somebody knows somebody that had problems yata yata yata, but I've never seen it. In mud racing racing if you see somebody with a 12 volt battery you don't have to worry about him being fast!! I run the XS Power like this one http://www.summitracing.com/parts/XSP-S1600/

It also speeds up your fan, water pump and fuel pump so make sure to check you pressure after you install it.
You can save about $100 if you buy the charger for 16 volt only, but I bought the 16 - 12 volt just incase I needed to charge a 12 volt.
I put a new battery in my truck every year or 18 months at the most. I'm not gonna go to a race and have battery issues.

You can also run a 16 volt alternator if you need to.

Trust me you'll like it!