View Single Post
Old 05-04-2009, 07:19 PM
chevysteve2
APPRENTICE

Originally Posted by sp2816
Something to keep in mind, is that the rev limiter chips will usually come in about 200rpms sooner than the advertised, so that your 6200 would have been about 6000.

When I do the math for the MPH, gear, and tire size it shows that 117 mph would need about 5600rpms without slippage. With the limit most likely hitting at 6000rpm's that shows that you have only about 400 rpm's of slippage on the top end, so it doesn't appear that you have a problem with either your transmission or your torque converter slipping. When you go up about 200 rpm's more, it shows that you would only reach about 122mph (the same as if you kept the rpm's the same and changed the gear to 3.73). If you changed your rear tires to a 29" tall, then you would be about 128mph with the rev limit up to the 6400.

Right now your effective gear ratio is like a 4.56 with 32" tall rear slicks.

Bill

Well I raised the limiter to 6400 and ran M&H Drag raidals (325/50-15) I found out that they are also shorter than advertised just slightly taller than the BFG,s. 1 more inch in circumfrence. the chages at the track was it was about 10 degrees hotter and very humid (rained the whole night before). 60ft went to 1.60, mph went to 120, and et went to 11.20. still on the limiter long before the traps. The tires defintetly helped the 60ft but not the mph. I am thinking about a better converter but I think that will take away my street ability, and is more money than I am willing to spend at this time. The gear swap is much cheaper just gears, a pinion bearingand time. The rear end only had about 500 miles on it. I will just have to decide which ratio I am leaning toward 3.70 but would concider 3.50, because if it don't run faster than 11.0 I can introduce the car to the blue bottle and not the limiter. right now no racing until august no time and even less money.

a little faster but still stuck in the 11's
steve