View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 03:39 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: bad welds

I have done quite a bit of TIG welding so here is my opinion on a couple of things asked here.

Originally Posted by todd8525
Not sure but i was told u are not suppose to TIG over a MIG weld?Yes /No or is this a myth.
I believe the issue would be if the whole thing were MIG welded and then ground down / or not, then TIG welded over because the TIG is such a smaller weld bead that you would not get weld penetration to the base metal only into the weld already there.

Originally Posted by outlaw256
dont have a tig welder here but i gotta hell of a big mig. we have built frames amd everything else you can think of. why is tig now the only way to go when mig was it before. someone with a gun in his hand that knows how to weld can weld a frame up just as good and strong as tig welded.imho...
I think because moly tubing is so much more prevalent than in the old days. Tig does provide a smaller nicer looking weld in the right hands and MIG is not recommended on moly even though it can be done. It is a little harder to tell the penetration of a MIG weld also.

Curtis