View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 06:04 PM
aconcialdi
SHOW GUEST

I just had a similar experience with a scammer to some of you. A couple of weeks ago I posted a kart racing engine here. I was contacted by the scammer by text. The number was (469)-227-0198. I told them I prefer PayPal for payment but they insisted on credit card or check. We agreed on $2400 plus shipping and he sent me a check in a mail. He said that he was going to have his "mover" that runs a "pay before service business" pick up the engine and that he would take care of the shipping. He was kind enough to provide a tracking number (ha!). I ended up getting a check for $3000 in the mail. The name of the bank on the check was Nantucket Bank and the name of the party written on the check was "Nantucket Carpentry Inc". The bank is an actual institution and they were very helpful in determining that the check was fraudulent. Here's the name/address on the envelope that contained the check:

John Brian
510 11th Ave.
New Brighton PA 15066(not sure about zip code.. it was blurry)

Even though the address is PA the shipping label said it was sent out from the 75204 zip code in Texas.

In hindsight, I should not have given my address and agreed to the sale without talking to the prospective buyer on the phone. PayPal would have been secure, but there are also scams involving links to fake PayPal sites where your personal information can be stolen. I hope none of you run into this person and that this can help you if that happens.