Thread: oil brand
View Single Post
Old 05-29-2013, 11:51 AM
DRTRCR22
EXPERT BUILDER

Yes Zip, Brad Penn and Joe Gibbs formulas are kinda hard to find... usually only at speed parts centers. Every time I get on the road and near a speed shop I grab another case or two.

However I have been having extremely good luck with the Valvoline VR1 20-50 right here from our local O'Rilley's Parts store. Its almost 3 bucks a quart cheaper than BP or JG, and even my expert race engine builder has started using too... and NO we don't put any additonal ZDDP additive in it.

The nice thing about the BP Green Oil is is does not foam up and wash down under alcohol use like some of the others do. I noticed the JG 20-50 got white and milky and thin fairly quickly when I ran alky, espcially if I ran the jets a little on the fat side...

I hear ya about hydraulic lifters, but I haven't run any of those since the mid eighties...? One option may be the Rhodes lifters, or a really good (read expensive) set of hydraulic race lifters...?
I still think the VR1 20-50 is probably your best bet for your hydraulic cam and lifter set...? Keep the lash set properly (1/4 to 1/2 turn after stops ticking...?) and don't ever let the lifters 'slap' the lobes (except for setting them at idle) or you will be risking failure damage no matter what else is going on...?

Question... I am reading this right...? are you saying you are running alcohol on a hydraulic cam and lifter engine...? Hmmm...?

Jim