View Single Post
Old 09-25-2014, 03:40 AM
lodilobo
MASTER JOURNEYMAN

Default Powerglide / convertor questions..

I'm trying to help a friend out, but based on the info I have, I'm not sure, so I need to ask for opinions. Camaro, 1979 355 motor, built pretty good. I estimate 420 - 460 h.p. P.G. w/ trans brake, and 4000 stall convertor. Here are the symptoms....with the car staged, on the line, using the trans brake, or the foot brake, rpm will not go beyond 4500. When the car leaves, it seems to be restricted, until it gets out about 500 ft., then starts running strong. Here is what has been done to this point....changed carbs...changed convertors 3 times....changed ignition coil...adjusted valves. I got involved after most of this stuff had been done. Up until recently, I was convinced it was in the motor...now I'm not so sure. The motor doesn't misfire, or break up. In fact, it seems to run strong. The ignition box is an older 7AL....the distributor is an older MSD with centrifugal advance. I have it timed AT 38 degrees. My next step will be to lock the distributor, or switch to a crank trigger system. It's a wierd situation. The owner has had this problem since the engine was installed, with the exception of one pass, when the car left strong and posted an e.t. a full second quicker than current times. Any suggestion will be appreciated.