Thread: 68 firebird
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:50 AM
Tod74
RACING JUNKIE

Default Re: Interesting?

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
I could easily have the same dilemma. Do you revamp an old car you have versus buying and building a new one. I want to at the present time do similar to you.

I still have my old 66 Chevy II that I originally started in 1979. I was in the service from 1980-84. A couple friend's of mine "borrowed" it from my Dad (with my permission), and campaigned it till I got home again. It was raced from 1981-88, has been retired since.

I've got somewhat the same issues. It badly needs some body massaging. It was tubbed and the rear end narrowed, could use some fresh paint. I want to update the rear suspension to an 4 link, it has a Ford 9" with 5.67s and a spool and axles . It has a 10 point cage, fiberglass doghouse, trunklid and rear bumper. It needs the fuel system upgraded to a cell and braided lines. The brakes updated, still has drums. Not to mention the motor and transmission would need pulled and freshened.

There are just a host of other things that would need addressing to modernise the car. It was a consistant 10.90 car in it's day. It's basically a relic from another time now. That's the same vein of thinking I have, of wanting something a little newer and more updated.

My wife tells me I ought to sell it if I'm not going to reuse it. After having the thing for 30 years, I'm just too sentimental, can't imagine anyone wanting the old thing. Not even sure I could bear to part with it. It's not costing me anything but a little space.
DON'T SELL IT!! Those cars make the neatest race cars in my opinion.