View Single Post
Old 11-25-2008, 12:40 PM
bowtie4542001
DYNO OPERATOR

Default Re: How long should I wait?

Originally Posted by hotrodharley
Originally Posted by bowtie4542001
Hey guys,

I will be painting my 68 Camaro over the winter and would like to get some information. I have thought about paint schemes and narrowed it down to Black w/yellow racing stripes, Yellow w/black racing stripes or Kobalt blue w/ silver or white racing stripes. My question is how long should I let the base coat dry before taping the car off to paint the stripes? Thank you in advance for you advice and suggestions. Also if anyone has any ideas about paint schemes for a 68 Camaro with a 6" cowl hood, please let me know. It has to be pretty simple because this will be my first paint job. I figured I would do it myself that way, if I mess up I have noone to blame except myself.

Chris
Thanks Hotrod, I will be contacting you soon. Still don't know what kind of gun to buy, should I use the same gun for primer as well as the paint. So many questions.

Chris

bowtie;;it is according to what type paint and what brand you use..lets say you are using dupoint..if it is there chromabase then once you spray your base you wait 30 mint. then you can mask off the base and spray the stripes..wait 30 mint. after spraying straps and you can start spraying your clear..now if using dupoints nason brand paint you will need to wait at least 4 hours before taping and spraying stripes..every paint company is different on these times.also very impotant to make sure you use good grade masking tape..do not cut corners on masking tape..cheap tape can and will miss up a perfect paint job.also don't use newspaper.ink from paper will bleed into your paint.buy masking paper for parts store you buy your paint from..it isn't very expensive.i'm saying a roll is around $15.00 and it will do many cars.if you want you can PM me or call me and i'll try and get you going..