Old 05-09-2008, 04:44 AM
curtisreed
RACING JUNKIE

With the parts available today making an engine last that makes good power is a lot different than back in the day. That said even the best engines can break and sometimes do, there are no guarantees. We usually put a couple of hundred passes and a motor and then tear it down to look inside. I agree with slowmotion about RPM being a big killer. I think a really important thing to stay on top of is valve spring pressure also when you are trying for longevity.

I have a little 383 sbc in my 27 roadster. Crosses the 1/8 mile stripe at 6500, 6.08@109. Lots of fun and low maintanance. 1.76 glide 16.5-33 tire I could probably hook this car in a mudpuddle. When I went to the bigger tire I just hoped I could do a burnout no more power than I am making LOL.

I guess to answer your question though the last motor we lost was a 355 that had sat in our Nova for about 10 yrs only getting started about twice in that time. It had alum. rods and we went one pass too far :shock: ops: . Kicked one rod and piston completely out of the block onto the track. Luckily it was 1/8 mile track. But this motor had a lot of hard passes in front of a Doug Nash five speed. Yeah I know really old school stuff. :P :P

Curtis