View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 07:14 AM
roadkill2
RACING JUNKIE

There's a lot of things Beck says and does that I agree with or to . . On this one . . Hmmmmm, maybe, or maybe not so much . .

It's a good story, and the history is, of course, connectible . . But I've got a collection of about 90,000 songs, all contemporary at one time or another, and all considered to be "American Poetry" in one form or another. Most, of course are about love, either coming or going. But quite a few are about the "American Condition" or a songwriter's comment(s) on a time in America as he(she) sees it . . McLean was kind of a deep writer (Re: "Vincent") but Paul Simon has many deeper and more predictive songs . . Listen to Simon's later stuff and you'll get the impression that Hank Williams wrote nothing but Joyful Hymns . . It's really that depressing if you really listen to the lyrics . .

I think Glen over-analyzed McLean's tune . . and if he did, I'd (just for giggles) like to hear his analysis of "Vincent" . . . or Simon's "Sounds of Silence" . . just to name a couple . . Or . . how about Arlo Guthrie? Damn, he could write a downer . .