View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 04:33 PM
markdunlap
DYNO OPERATOR

Default BBC upper valve train oiling question

I think there is an oiling issue on an BBC engine that was just built. I did not build it, but was asked to help. The oiling to the rockers is very minimal. There is some oil, but not much. It is in a pulling tractor and made 1 pull before it was noticed. I inspected all the pushrods and rockers and there is no damage or unusual wear. Both heads seem to be getting the same amount of oil. You can run the engine at 2000 RPM with the valve covers off and it doesn't throw much oil around at all.

It has a Dart Big M block, 385 Air Flow Research heads, T&D rockers, Bullet .800"+ cam, Bullet roller lifters (MOREL), Moroso billet aluminum oil pump.

The block has optional piston oilers. There are no oil restrictors in the block to limit oil to the upper end.

The T&D rockers don't have a oil hole on top, they oil out the front toward the roller.

I have adjusted oil pressure from 60# up to 80# and no difference.

Anyone seen this?

I have heard of having to cut a vertical relief in the lifters on the outer body to get more oil to the upper end. Anyone know about this or can provide a diagram of this modification?