Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM
zipper06
RACING JUNKIE

Definately needs to have been balanced. All GM's with external balancing have to be balanced when adding after market rods and pistons. The factory rods and pistons will alway be a different weight than after market products.
After market rods are usually matches sets within a couple grams and so are after market pistons. These two added together plus rings and bearings add up to the swing/bob weight that the crank needs to be balanced too, along with the flywheel and balancer. What you have is a classic case of crank harmonics/distoration which beat the mains out. Clearance could have been a little tight on the mains, but non the less it would have still beat the mains out if the crank was not balanced for the proper bob/swing weight. The stock units was meant to run max 4500rpm and factory balanced to run that. but the minute you start running 6500/7000 rpm you are in deep DOO DOO.
As mentioned before, you will have to check the alienment on the blk. now because it may be distorted, i'm a little surprised you didn't spin the bearings with that much heat involved.
I know it's a hard and expensive learned lesson, it's something the person who assembled the engine should have warned you about. I personally would have not assembled the engine for no price for a customer without having it balanced.
But atleast when you're able to get her up and running again you'll have a better engine and a faster one.

Zip.