Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Pro's n cons 4 a gooosneck (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19728)

gnsrule 02-03-2008 12:10 AM

Pro's n cons 4 a gooosneck

Im about to make a jump in trailer size so the golf cart will fit. I got a 24 ft now. Im looking at 38-40 ft goosnecks and make the front the sleeping berth. I'll be backing it down and around the culdesac w/ cars on both sides.Its no problem now but just wondering how the goosneck backs up compared to a tag.
I pull w/ a 05 Dodge 4x4 cummins dullie. Jut turned 13k miles.

Craig

shawnp 02-03-2008 04:55 AM

Prior to the motorhome we pulled a 48 foot vintage with living quarters. Turning radias is sharper and it will turn a lot faster. Towing it you will see less sway from it versus the tag. You can travel and unhook from your living quarters and go to town versus a motorhome that would be difficult to do that with. The only downsize, small living quarters makes for a long weekend if you have several people camping out with you.

sc4405 02-03-2008 06:02 AM

gn

I have a 28' tag now but am looking to do something similar at some point. There's no comparison towing that GN down the highway, you hardly know it's there. It will turn shorter and park in tight places with a little practice. Don't see any negatives in what you're doing. Only wish I had the $$ to do it too! 8) JB

insane4fbodys 02-03-2008 06:26 AM

The only bad thing I can say is first thing to watch with a GN over a tag is they cut quicker. Meaning that if your close to a ditch or something on the side walk, turning the truck close to the curb will result in embarassment. :oops: Found this out the hard way with a 36' GN with a tractor on it. But now then besides my 20' tag car trailer wouldn't have anything but a GN

SST4530 02-03-2008 06:40 AM

You can park them in a tight spot providing you have plenty of room to manuver your truck, otherwise the tag is better int this regard. Also if you have a short bed truck, be sure you get the extended hitch on the GN or when you cut it the corner of the trailer will nock out your back glass and dent up the cab.

They do pull nice though.

SPEEDNEEDS1 02-03-2008 10:34 AM

Is that Billy Smith's old camaro. I have raced against it alot at Mountain Park Dragway.

topsportsman1 02-03-2008 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by blittle
You can park them in a tight spot providing you have plenty of room to manuver your truck, otherwise the tag is better int this regard. Also if you have a short bed truck, be sure you get the extended hitch on the GN or when you cut it the corner of the trailer will nock out your back glass and dent up the cab.

They do pull nice though.

X2 on what Bill said, I too have a 38'haulmark GN and a 3+3 dually its a nice way to go but I am going back to a tag so I can haul my racecar with the motorhome.

olds48 02-03-2008 11:32 AM

What's the difference between a goose neck and fifth wheel?I know how to tell them apart,just wondering as far as pulling one.

Scotty2 02-03-2008 12:13 PM

goose has a 2 5/16 ball fifth is a 2" pin

olds48 02-03-2008 02:23 PM

Does one drive better or cost more than the other?I'm a po'boy so I'm stuck with a tag trailer either way.Just was always curious