Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   The Good Old Days (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20472)

dgordner 04-09-2008 01:53 PM

As a track owner of 25 years (circle track) I will tell you this. The track is only as good as the owner/operator. If you got into a fight at my track, there was an investigation. Letters were sent out to all people involved. Warnings were issued to those at fault. First time a warning. Unless it was deemed to serious for a warning. Second time, letter plus banned for a race or two. Third time, letter and perminent dismissal. Didn't need that kind of personality at my facility. The other thing that incites the racers is a flagman who has no jewels to use the flags appropriately!!! If you have a flagman who isn't afraid to controll the race by issuing the warning flags to those who are driving over their heads, much of the crap in the pits will be controlled from the flagstand. Again, circle track racing is only as good as the people who opperate the event.

zipper06 04-09-2008 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by NorthMotorSports
Yea well when you have thousands of dollars wraped up in ur racecar and some guy comes along and rips it to shreds ud be alittle pissed too see one huge difference between drag and circle track racing is in drag racing you dont really have to worry about the other guy wreckin your $h!t but in circle track you got 32 other crazy bastards out there with ya and they could give a rats a$$ about u or ur equipment so when some body wrecks you you go over and say somethin cause that guy could of either hurt you or alot of other racers that were on the racetrack when the wreck happened

I realize that circle racing is indeed a contact sport, i have a friend that runs 2 sprint cars at West Memphis Ar. and they are fighting/argueing all the time and sometimes come to blows.
I also realize that drag racing is a different world and i too will help (if i can) someone who needs help in the pits to get back in competition, even if i may have to run them before the nite is over. Nascar, just this yr. started allowing the drivers to display more of their personalities, but will still fine and ban any driver or pit crew who throws punches.
I can't see a law suit, but i can see the ban (not for life) but a couple races. I had a friend who got ban for life from No Problem drag strip for complaining about a motor home owned by a local for leaving his gray water open for a 3 day race, which turned into a mud hole where my friend was parked next too his, go figure!

JMO

Zip.

bjuice 04-09-2008 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by zipper06
OH Crap!!
I may get banned from RJ for life for responding to this thread, but i have to voice my thoughts on this thread.
First i'm an NHRA racer all my life and before that AHRA and IHRA still today.
In my opinion there's no place for fighting at the track. I once saw in 1990 or 1991 where 2 S/Gas guys were lined up at PHX NHRA in the final, they got into an argurament and 1 guy punched the other guy out, the S/gas couldn't be completed and nobody went home happy.
In my opinion it's up to the tech staff if there was an infraction comitted and you take that decission and live with it. and yes i've seen fighting at the track including Mario Anthretti in 1957 at Soldiers Field in Chgo.
But that doesn't make it right.
I don't know what i would do at the age of 69 if some young trup. came up to me and accused me of staging games and offered to punch my lights out because he lost due to what he figured an infraction.
If you can't handle the consiquences, don't race there any more. You made the desision to go there and you have to realize that there are track favorites that will always get the best decisions.
Lawyer's i don't agree with but it's always possible, so you should always think before you act.
With that said i hope i don't get banned from RJ.

Zip.

Banned...HECK NO !!... I personally and as a RJ MOD welcome all opinions and ideas from everyone.As a matter of fact i would like to see more opinions and ideas shared ( without offense taken from those reading the opinions) so we all can continue to learn from one another......My signature is ' THERE IS MORE THAN ONE WAY TO SKIN A MOVING CAT"... I truly beleive in this statment..some of us take a different route just to get to the same place at certain times in our life......

You being 69 yrs old and holding a few NATIONAL RECORDS ( credentials)..has me always listening when you speak ( type)..lol....what a better way to learn than from someone who has been there seen that /done that...

Always feel free to speak your ( EVERYONE) opinion...if that ever stops ...we all should just go about our business and forget this forum thing....lol :D

Brian

NorthMotorSports 04-10-2008 09:27 AM

Ya I agree a ton with the whole flagman.....

NorthMotorSports 04-10-2008 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by v8Fiero
Im not a circle track racer but I can understand how tough must be to see your car get scrapped because of somebody elses stupidity. but I think the majority of racers understand and respect the work other people put into their cars.

The way I see it, your only competition on the track. if your in the pits and have a problem with your car I will bend over backwards to help get you back on the track so I can compete against you again because racing is where the fun is at! and others have done the same for me when I have had problems with the car.

Ya were the same way I remember at speedweeks in january I didnt make the show and the guy I was pitted next to was havin motor problems so I said u need a motor and we busted our ass to get my motor out of my car and put it in his he ended up getin third and that was the best feeling ever knowin that without my motor that guy wouldnt have had a chance in the world since his was down a cylinder 8) 8)

Tod74 04-10-2008 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by v8Fiero
Im not a circle track racer but I can understand how tough must be to see your car get scrapped because of somebody elses stupidity. but I think the majority of racers understand and respect the work other people put into their cars.

The way I see it, your only competition on the track. if your in the pits and have a problem with your car I will bend over backwards to help get you back on the track so I can compete against you again because racing is where the fun is at! and others have done the same for me when I have had problems with the car.

Off topic of thread a little but on topic with the above post sorta...

My uncle and cousins run in a dirt car class that has a claimer rule for the motor or just heads. I'm sure all of you know what that is..If I am racing and you decide I may have too much in my motor or just heads you can offer up your motor and x amount of money and I have to sell or be baned for the year.Well most all those guys have more in them than they should. My Uncle had a strong 406 in his with dart heads...he was doing well enough he was afraid he would get his motor claimed. He took an old 350 he had in the barn and re ringed it and put some old double hump heads he had on there and just hand lapped the valves and stuck it in. Well he continued to do good..better actually because the car didn't spin as much on athe slick track. He was very close with another guy in points , a guy who hated to lose. Well one night that guy claimed his heads. 500 Bucks and his heads...they had to pull em off and trade right then at almost 1 a.m. I hear the look on his face was priceless when he was handed the old basicly garbage double hump heads and had to fork over his heads that had been ported and polished AND $500 !! He later told my uncle that he didn't figure they would allow him to claim them and would be forced to leave for the year. To me that is just a low down way to try and win a points race....serves the guy right, In my opinion..lol

NorthMotorSports 04-11-2008 11:02 AM

Yup yup thats IMCA and weve been there and done that and said screw this crap and went to the USMTS instead IMCA has way to many damn rules and it makes it even more expensive beleive it or not