Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Memphis Motorsports park is History (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26196)

zipper06 10-30-2009 11:21 AM

Memphis Motorsports park is History

I just talked to my friend Jimmy Smith up in Ms. and he told me that Memphis Motorsports as of today is gone/closed. Gone is the dragstrip, and the NASCAR track. Dover enterprise has shut down the vicility, no more racing. That punches a hole in one NHRA National event, and a couple NASCAR events. Maybe someone will pick it up and reopen the tracks. It really was a nice vicility, lots of big names been down that track lot's of times. 10 yrs. ago that was the track to go too, but over the last 2 or 3 yrs. the management has sucked, and has run it into the ground, literly.

Zip.

THERATTLER 10-30-2009 12:22 PM

Very True , it,s all over Google , a real estate company already has it listed

hollowayshotrods 10-30-2009 12:29 PM

What a crying shame, another piece of racing history going away. I sure hope someone with money AND racing at heart buys it.

Scooterz 10-30-2009 12:59 PM

I am sorry to hear that!!

Perhaps Obama will "bail it out"... oh wait, that is only for things that don't deserve to be bailed out... or should not be bailed out. Besides, if he did, I would get bored watching electric smart cars race for 31 second e.t.'s in government mandated vehicles...

I am sorry, that was a bad joke.

bjuice 10-30-2009 02:30 PM

Zip Not trying to Hi-jack your Thread but do you race at Holley Springs Any ?

this was posted on a local 10.5 site i go to..i normally don't even like to open any threads of drag cars crashing.....its all too close to home for me.

but anyhow Tommy wasn't Hurt thank God..

just wondering if you knew about this ?...i assume they are speaking of a Mississippi track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84ppO8sB50

TopspeedLowet 10-30-2009 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rigsby

Perhaps Obama will "bail it out"... oh wait, that is only for things that don't deserve to be bailed out... or should not be bailed out. Besides, if he did, I would get bored watching electric smart cars race for 31 second e.t.'s in government mandated vehicles...

That was a great fricken joke Scooter

Scooter, I took the bait hook line and sinker on the NHRA site last April fools day when they announced that obamma was giving a stimulus check of 3 million dollars to summit motorsports park for a canopy that would cover the entire racing surface to negate poor weather and allow racing in any conditions. I thought, why not my track,, why Baders track. Is he some kind of tax evader, felon or something like that to win over obammas affections.......... Now I got mad as hell and then felt and looked real stupid when it was pointed out to me by my track owner Mary Leadford that I involved with my rant, that it was nhra's annual april fools joke and I was the FOOL.
Previously unthinkable just 10 months ago, I thought it was possible that our government could and did give a tax money to a private business that obamma blessed or more likely cursed and bailed out.
I hope this true story gives you a laugh guys, and I don't mind that it is at my expense. Just goes to show you how times are a changing.
Bruce

Scooterz 10-30-2009 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet

Originally Posted by Rigsby

That was a great fricken joke Scooter

Scooter, I took the bait hook line and sinker on the NHRA site last April fools day when they announced that obamma was giving a stimulus check of 3 million dollars to summit motorsports park for a canopy that would cover the entire racing surface to negate poor weather and allow racing in any conditions. I thought, why not my track,, why Baders track. Is he some kind of tax evader, felon or something like that to win over obammas affections.......... Now I got mad as hell and then felt and looked real stupid when it was pointed out to me by my track owner Mary Leadford that I involved with my rant, that it was nhra's annual april fools joke and I was the FOOL.
Previously unthinkable just 10 months ago, I thought it was possible that our government could and did give a tax money to a private business that obamma blessed or more likely cursed and bailed out.
I hope this true story gives you a laugh guys, and I don't mind that it is at my expense. Just goes to show you how times are a changing.
Bruce

Well Bruce, I did get a laugh... but only after wishful thinking about you guys getting an all weather canopy for your track. Would that be cool or what??? Seriously, it bumms me out about hearing another track close.

TopspeedLowet 10-30-2009 03:22 PM

I think it is sad that we lost another one too Scooter. I hope that the guys that raced there are able to find new tracks to call home.
Bruce

zipper06 10-30-2009 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by bjuice
Zip Not trying to Hi-jack your Thread but do you race at Holley Springs Any ?

this was posted on a local 10.5 site i go to..i normally don't even like to open any threads of drag cars crashing.....its all too close to home for me.

but anyhow Tommy wasn't Hurt thank God..

just wondering if you knew about this ?...i assume they are speaking of a Mississippi track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a84ppO8sB50

Yes i knew about it, i wasn't there, but Jimmy Smith was there both sat and sun, and in fact there were 2 10.5 crashes, i guess Tommy's was the worse, the car was destroyed according to Jimmy. He told me about it on monday. I had mentioned that you said driving a 10.5 car in the 5.0 range was like driving a 100 MPH on a gravel road, That's when he said yep it must be because they crashed 2 of them this weekend at Holly Springs. That track in only 45 miles south of Memphis, and one of the best, if not the best tracks in the south, it's also a big factor in the reason Memphis lost all their business. It pays big money all the time and generally gets well over a 100 cars. Last sat they had 40 cars in the 7.0 class and 38 cars in the 6.0 class, paid $2,000.00 to win in each and free entry for the car and driver, plus they had S/P and Foot brake classes. The guy that used to run Huntsville is the manager there at HS and is also the person who puts on the Million dollar race.
The avatar picture of my car at the left was taken at HS.

Zip.

FullTimeRacing 10-30-2009 05:46 PM

Is that track real narrow(holley springs) or is it just the view from in side the car? :shock: