Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   belt drive pump (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27756)

sds10racer 04-03-2010 08:07 PM

belt drive pump

read on another post that you should have a fuel cell up front to run one. why? is there some reason the circle track guys can and dragracers can't?

hammertime 04-05-2010 07:39 AM

I've seen many people do it without any issues :)

shawnp 04-05-2010 08:11 AM

You want to make sure that your tank is not lower than your pump location. You will need gravity to be your friend when running from the trunk. That is just from personal experience.

sds10racer 04-05-2010 09:02 PM

i'm personally not using one, but a friend is in a 72 chevelle. so he should make sure the tank outlet is higher. does the fuel line going thru the frame help, as it is lower? a lot of the circle track guys have them about the same level in the alchohol classes.

zipper06 04-05-2010 10:25 PM

One thing you have to remember is that a positive displacment pump is not a sucker, it's designed to push fuel. Sure it has some suction due to the vacuum created in the fuel line, that's why most people run front mounted fuel cells on drag cars, and even then they are mounted with the bottom of the tank close to the fuel pump level.
On the round racers, if you're talking about sprint cars, their tanks are mounted high and most of them drive the pump off the back of the cam.

JMO

Zip.

curtisreed 04-06-2010 04:44 AM

You can always mount the pump in the rear and cable drive it off of the front of the engine so it is not having to suck as far.

Curtis

sds10racer 04-06-2010 08:40 PM

the roundy cars i'm refering to is the wissota late models and mods. the fuel pump is belt drive on the front of the engine, just like an alt. some of the tanks are mounted low, others high. also, are all belt pumps "pushers" or is there a way to tell if they suck the fuel. asking these ? as i don't want my friends engine to run bad from lack of fuel. also need to know to defend the reasoning to the guys at the shop where he is building the car. these guys have been racing wissota classes in huron,sd for quite a few years using this type of fuel system. and i don't think they are the only ones.

zipper06 04-07-2010 12:01 AM

The Hilborn,Enderle, and Rons are, i can't speak for the others. One thing else is that these guys may be feeding them with an electric pump mounted back near the tank which will usually work especially with a carb.

JMO

Zip.

sds10racer 04-07-2010 08:08 PM

thanks for the ideas, gonna take a closer look at his setup and the late model beside it and ask more ? from them to see why it is set up the way it is. also, should it have an internal or external bypass, and what kind of regulators for each.

zipper06 04-07-2010 08:44 PM

If it's an injection engine you'll have to run a bypass pill, if it's carberated you have to have a fuel pressure regulator and bypas that way.

JMO

Zip.