Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   what low gear for a powerglide? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32024)

bowler 04-23-2012 01:26 PM

what low gear for a powerglide?
 
my car is 2450# with a sbc 434, powerglide, 5000 stall, rear is 4.56 tires are 32.5, runs 9.30's @ 145. I have a stock 1.76 first gear and they make 1.64, 1.65, 1.69, 1.76, 1.80 & 1.96. I will up grade to after market set just not sure what ratio? i will run super pro & pro thanks Doug

bbchevy 04-23-2012 01:43 PM

?
 
1.80
That will be Fine for your Needs!
Later
G 8)

bowler 04-24-2012 09:07 AM

1.80
 
BBC thanks for your help Doug

zipper06 04-24-2012 08:08 PM

Doug i don't think you will gain more than .002/.003 with a change to 1.80's, maybe not worth the cost. I think the smaller tire from the 16X33's that you have been running will make the difference. I would try the smaller tires before spending $750.00/$850.00 on the gears.

JMO

Zip.

bowler 04-24-2012 09:06 PM

1.80
 
thanks Zip, do you know i'am running a stock P/G planetary? i thought they might be weak? i have been using it the last 5 years. Right now i have a friend that works for a distributor of Toyo tires, he's going to find out what they have and i will go from there also i think i have a trade on my 15x16 wheels for 15x15 that will give me more tires to chose from, those Toyo's you have are the perfect roll out. I'll let you know what he finds. Thanks Doug

itsabird 04-25-2012 12:17 AM


Originally Posted by zipper06
Doug i don't think you will gain more than .002/.003 with a change to 1.80's, maybe not worth the cost. I think the smaller tire from the 16X33's that you have been running will make the difference. I would try the smaller tires before spending $750.00/$850.00 on the gears.

JMO

Zip.

x2

hammertime 04-25-2012 05:19 AM

Re: what low gear for a powerglide?
 

Originally Posted by bowler
my car is 2450# with a sbc 434, powerglide, 5000 stall, rear is 4.56 tires are 32.5, runs 9.30's @ 145. I have a stock 1.76 first gear and they make 1.64, 1.65, 1.69, 1.76, 1.80 & 1.96. I will up grade to after market set just not sure what ratio? i will run super pro & pro thanks Doug

Either a 1.80 or 1.96. IMO one of the best investments people rarely make !

fast75vega 04-25-2012 05:33 AM


Originally Posted by zipper06
Doug i don't think you will gain more than .002/.003 with a change to 1.80's, maybe not worth the cost. I think the smaller tire from the 16X33's that you have been running will make the difference. I would try the smaller tires before spending $750.00/$850.00 on the gears.

JMO

Zip.

i have to agree with zip on the 1.80's :wink: dont they offer a 1.87 or 1.89 first gear too?

bowler 04-25-2012 08:57 PM

P/G
 
Fast Vega they make a 1.98 but someone told me they were not as strong as the 1.80? and the 1.80 set is $688 if the stock 1.76 is as strong as the aftermarket sets i might hold off as i just bought a set of Chad Speire heads, Jesel rocker bars and will buy a slicks soon also have to get the chassis certified $$$. I would like to know about the strength of the 1.98 planetary set to the 1.80. Thanks to all Doug

hammertime 04-26-2012 04:54 AM

Re: P/G
 

Originally Posted by bowler
Fast Vega they make a 1.98 but someone told me they were not as strong as the 1.80? and the 1.80 set is $688 if the stock 1.76 is as strong as the aftermarket sets i might hold off as i just bought a set of Chad Speire heads, Jesel rocker bars and will buy a slicks soon also have to get the chassis certified $$$. I would like to know about the strength of the 1.98 planetary set to the 1.80. Thanks to all Doug

The 1.98 aftermarket is just as strong and made of the same material.

What you need to watch out for, some of the aftermarket gear sets are made of cheaper material and made over seas. Find one made in the USA .. :)

A 1.76 is no where near as strong as a 1.80


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 11:00 AM.