Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   bbc heads? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31485)

mwbrasher 01-04-2012 12:34 PM

bbc heads?

i picked up a 68 427 closed chamber pistons... 12.5 comp with 109 cc chambers.... i would like to find a decent set of aluminum heads for the vega... this is a drag car only.... any sugestions would be helpful... thanks ..caveman.... :shock:

cncmotorsports 01-04-2012 05:43 PM

Might be tough finding heads to work with the closed chamber pistons. Edelbrock has some heads that still work. Other wise change pistons and get a set of AFR heads

mwbrasher 01-04-2012 08:03 PM

that is what i was thinking... i was hoping that there was a company that made "l-88" style after market replacements... they were about 109cc.... but either way looks like to make any power it's going to be costley!!!!!! lol thanks for your in-put.... caveman :shock:

mwbrasher 01-04-2012 09:18 PM

i'm not real good with the comp math... if i have a 12.5 closed chamber piston and i use a open chamber head....119cc... what would my total compression be??....could i run pump gas and maybe get close to 500 hp?? thanks caveman........... :? just want my car to run 10.30.....

bbchevy 01-05-2012 08:16 AM

?

That will Drop the Comp Ratio to about 11.2.
You could probably get away with Premium Fuel,but the 500HP?
NOT Likely,but with a GOOD Head and Cam,ITS Possible!
Later
G 8)

mwbrasher 01-05-2012 10:20 AM

hey bbchevy.... thanks for the reply... every body seems to be pointing to replacing the pistons with open chamber one to get the comp up.... what kind of open chamber pistons would you suggest? it is a 060 427 with stock stroke... what elese would i need to make those numbers? thanks caveman :D

markdunlap 01-05-2012 01:41 PM

BBC

I'd sell what I had and get a 2 bolt 454 block and stroke it to 496. Easy power and better resale later.

But that's just me.

mwbrasher 01-06-2012 08:25 AM

thanks mark for the reply... got a good short block... its going in a vega... i just wan't to run around 10;30's...and be almost bullet proof..lol...thanks caveman :?

wmeabates 01-06-2012 03:24 PM

I had a motor like that in a 3100 lb nova.Nothing special,.030 over 12.9 to 1,ls6 iron heads,flat tappet cam.strip dominator,750 carb.Ran 10.50s.I don't think You will any problem doing what to do.Bill.

mwbrasher 01-06-2012 05:07 PM

thanks bill....not trying to be a "pro stock" lol trying to keep cost down and have a decent time to... thanks caveman :D

zipper06 01-06-2012 07:08 PM

ProComp makes a set of closed chamber heads, but i wouldn't recommend them for more than 200 lbs valve seat pressure. They come with 2.250 int and 1.880 exh valve seats. They will make over 500 hp with a .600 lift cam with the right intake,carb, and headers. Being a procomp dealer i've sold a few sets of these heads, but not for racing, also they only come on ovel port intake. and they are cheap.

JMO

Zip.

Sorry i was wrong ProComp does not make a closed chamber head.

mwbrasher 01-07-2012 06:45 AM

hey zipper...i did not know that pro comp made CLOSED CHAMBER HEADS... if a machinist were to get these... could he make them "last"... i am just a bracket guy... but will run a cam about 650 lift.. don't mind speending a little more for heads that will last... thanks caveman :D

zipper06 01-07-2012 07:31 AM

UH'OH Caveman, i made a mistake, the PC's are not closed chamber, sorry my mistake. I think Dart makes a set of closed chamber, round int. runner and i think my friend has a set of them, he's going to take a look at them and call me back in a couple hrs.
Sorry for misleading you on the PC's.

Zip.

There's lot's of closed chamber heads listed on Ebay for sale, most are large ovel intake runners. I ran a set of these heads in the mid 80's on a 427 in a 3500 lb Chevelle and it ran low 11's. Here is a few of the listings.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BIG-BLOCK-CH...sories&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Big-Block-ch...sories&vxp=mtr

Now here is the real deal on closed chamber heads

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-BIG-BLO...sories&vxp=mtr

mwbrasher 01-07-2012 10:16 AM

heck thats ok.... i am tust trying to avoid buying new pistons... lol...any help is greatly appericated... caveman :D

bbchevy 01-07-2012 12:44 PM

Heads

Caveman,
For what you want to do?
Buy a set of Brodix,Darts or AFR's.The QUALITY is NO Comparison,and buy the Time you WAISTE a BUNCH of $$$ on that Pro`Comp SCRAP,you wont be Much Different in MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Later
G 8)

mwbrasher 01-08-2012 12:11 PM

hey bbchevy..... you are right ... i do not want ...pro comp... do any others make the small chamber heads...i wan't to keep the weight down... other wise i would run cast iron... they are availble... wan't to keep price around $1400.00.... thanks caveman :D

coolracing 01-09-2012 07:50 AM

Re: Heads

Originally Posted by bbchevy
Caveman,
For what you want to do?
Buy a set of Brodix,Darts or AFR's.The QUALITY is NO Comparison,and buy the Time you WAISTE a BUNCH of $$$ on that Pro`Comp SCRAP,you wont be Much Different in MONEY!!!!!!!!!!
Later
G 8)

X2

mwbrasher 01-13-2012 04:48 PM

any body know of a good aluminum ..CLOSED CHAMBER.. CYL HEAD... 109CC.....PREFER A fairley decent PRICE...LOL........thanks caveman...

bigray 01-14-2012 08:32 PM

CHANGE THE PISTONS..... AND MOVE IN TO THE 21ST CENTURY.. GO OPEN CAMBER, AND GET IT OVER WITH.. JUST MY 2 CENTS WORTH. :lol: :roll:

mechanicmike57 01-22-2012 06:28 PM

bbc heads?

There's reasons people don't use the old school stuff anymore it's a new age in racing. Get with tha times. But I did hear that you AARP premium could increase if they find out your racing. Lmfao j/k where's my metamucil

TheYellaBrick 01-23-2012 07:22 AM

I wouldn't be an AARP member for ANYthing ! They backed Obamacare to the hilt just to line their own pockets.
Generation America for me ;

http://www.generationamerica.org/

mwbrasher 01-24-2012 08:52 AM

hey mechanic mike...you are right... i'm alittle older than most of you here... and i didn't get started till last year... BUT.... i raised my familey paid all my taxes...and i don't like the OLD FOLKS.. should be sitting in a rocking chair... attitude... and yes i can buy the new stuff if i choose.... but why not run what you have.... any body can buy parts... hot rodding is about building your own way....caveman........... :twisted:

bbchevy 01-24-2012 10:30 AM

Re: bbc heads?

Originally Posted by mwbrasher
i picked up a 68 427 closed chamber pistons... 12.5 comp with 109 cc chambers.... i would like to find a decent set of aluminum heads for the vega... this is a drag car only.... any sugestions would be helpful... thanks ..caveman.... :shock:

mwbrasher 01-24-2012 11:17 AM

bbchevy.... you ae right i did ask for suggestions... i don't think the aarp bs is what i was looking for... thanks for your input... :evil:

zipper06 01-24-2012 11:21 AM

hey mechanic mike...you are right... i'm alittle older than most of you here... and i didn't get started till last year... BUT.... i raised my familey paid all my taxes...and i don't like the OLD FOLKS.. should be sitting in a rocking chair... attitude... and yes i can buy the new stuff if i choose.... but why not run what you have.... any body can buy parts... hot rodding is about building your own way....caveman........... :twisted:

Man Caveman, i'm a very few days short of 73, and how many times have my relatives said why don't just sell all your racing parts and cars, and relax because you'll never finish all the projects you have started (true i may not) but i've raced since i had a drivers lic. and it's the most enjoyable sport on the planet as far as i'm concerned. i've made so many friends in drag racing over the yrs. and still making them today.
I do have a couple rocking chairs on the front porch but i use them to sit out in the late afternoon and evening (weather permitting) and have a few beers and talk to a neighbor if one stops by.

Zip.

mwbrasher 01-24-2012 11:38 AM

hey zipper... if i'm down your way... maybe we can sit in your rockin chair and do some bench racin... between us old guts lol... caveman :D

bbchevy 01-24-2012 12:31 PM

?

bbchevy.... you ae right i did ask for suggestions... i don't think the aarp bs is what i was looking for... thanks for your input... :evil:

Guess I Missed the POLITICS thing?AARP.Well I'm not on the Forum to Bust BALLS,just try and give some advise if I CAN Help!
Thats All,No MORE,NO Less!
Did you Say BeeR,..............?
If you ever make it this Far NORTH,look me up!Dont have any Rocking Chairs,but ALWAYS got a Cold Budweiser!
Later
G 8)

zipper06 01-24-2012 01:26 PM

I didn't like the AARP comment, but it wasn't said to me, but i will say one thing about AARP, they are nothing but a lobby group for the ins. companies and i wouldn't join them if they paid me too. I personally think their tax free statis should not be allowed just as some churches due to their political ties :evil:

Zip.

mechanicmike57 01-25-2012 06:53 PM

Wasn't tryin to hurt any feelings just after a few grins sry. No prob run what u brung that is what it's about.

zipper06 01-25-2012 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by mechanicmike57

Wasn't tryin to hurt any feelings just after a few grins sry. No prob run what u brung that is what it's about.

:lol: Mike us old geezers have been fighting so long that's all we know to do. Heck i'm sure i could back at some of the cars i've raced in over 50 yrs. of racing i could laugh at myself also. No harm my friend.

Zip.

mwbrasher 01-25-2012 09:03 PM

great...thanks for clearing that up... we are cool... just wan't to race... just like every one here.... :D

TheYellaBrick 01-26-2012 07:38 AM

Racin', roddin', and renchin', is all about turnin' and lernin'.

:shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :oops: :oops: :oops:

bixblk 02-02-2012 06:58 PM

496 bbc

I got a great deal on a BBC apart for inspection,it should make 750 plus HP alum dart heads, great pieces for a great price
check out my Ad #2460715 $3800.00
Dart, eagle, comp, freshly machined block, ready to go Check it out
You can put it together and have a boat load of HP for cheap money
Call if interested or if you have any questions
jeff M 708-308-0282

burgessdg 03-09-2012 08:02 PM

BBC heads

What's wrong with a set of Rect port closed chamber factory heads? I have never seen a flow bench test on those old heads, but nobody can tell me oval port heads flow better than the old L88 heads without showing me some flow bench data to prove it. I too ran 10's with an L88 .60 over in a Nova. 488 gear, tunnel ram w 2-600 holleys. Those heads were on all high HP BBC 65-70, they should be plentiful.

waynesworld154 10-25-2012 08:59 AM

just a thought i run a 427 closed chamber motor cast head 291 have 320 runners from factory have a 2700lb car and run 5.90 115mph so dont give up on cast heads yet u can make plenty of pwer with cast heads just my opinion thanks

oldandtired 10-29-2012 12:23 PM

The closed chamber "bathtub heads" required a lot of work and then they still would not flow well in the upper RMP range. They were "OK" for a 396/427 but not for anything larger.

Too much valve to head chamber flow interference.

JMO