Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Chassis and Suspension (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   extreme wheel shake (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21930)

kbartley 09-26-2008 07:40 PM

extreme wheel shake

I have a pretty old Altered 4-link wheelbase is 116". As soon as I come out of the water the front wheel's start moving right to left rapidly. What do you think is the problem. I had this problem before on a FED that I had & I layed the spindle's back a few more degree's & fixed it. I checked fo play in the steering box on the altered & it seem's to be ok. Anybody out there had this happen before? My spindle's don't appear to be bent. Torsion bar frontend. Thank's, Kris

cepx111 09-26-2008 08:54 PM

I think you might need to repost this in the Chassis and Suspension section, you might get better response there.
Goodluck, Charles

cepx111 09-26-2008 08:55 PM

My bad I spoke to soon, I see it there>
Cp

hammertime 09-27-2008 02:29 AM

Re: extreme wheel shake

Originally Posted by kbartley
I have a pretty old Altered 4-link wheelbase is 116". As soon as I come out of the water the front wheel's start moving right to left rapidly. What do you think is the problem. I had this problem before on a FED that I had & I layed the spindle's back a few more degree's & fixed it. I checked fo play in the steering box on the altered & it seem's to be ok. Anybody out there had this happen before? My spindle's don't appear to be bent. Torsion bar frontend. Thank's, Kris

Have you checked the "toe" on the front end to be sure the wheels arent fighting each other ?

kbartley 09-27-2008 05:55 AM

shimmy/shake

Yeah, I see this now. First time ever posting. I caught that after I went back, but you know I 've gotten no response in the chasis cat.. Well what I did I layed the axel back to 10degree's, now I have tow out. So I'LL adjust that make sure my center's are right & try it. I was wondering if a little toe-in maybe a 1/4" would hurt anything, if necessary. Thank's, Kris

bjuice 09-27-2008 12:53 PM

hey kbarlty i moved your post and replies from the engine tech to chassis and suspension...no problem...its all good..

i had the same problem with one of my past rides..i had too much front end travel which in turn caused me to have a Negative Camber as the wheels dropped excessivley....my front end would wiggle just like your describing..you would drive out of it after 60/80 ft once the weight shifted back to the front of car.. you just had to be really steady at the wheel and not over steer.

i am not sure how the adjustments are on alters..i have only owned one in my life..

My question for you is this ... does the front wheels only to this under accerlation ?...does it do that same thing by gradually getting into the throttle ?

Also two guys i highly recommend speaking with on this chassis thing is Ed Wilson and /or Bubster.

Brian

suicidebomb 09-27-2008 02:19 PM

I run 8 degrees caster,& 1/8 inch toe in, on mine, no drama. I don't know if that's coorect or not, but it works on mine.

kbartley 09-28-2008 04:01 AM

shimmy/shake

It doesn't matter if it is under power or being towed back to the pit's, it still does it. This altered has a straight axel & where the kingpin boss's are welded on is 40" wide. So how old is that, I wonder? Here is another potential problem??? I noticed. It appear's the fr. axel had been cut in 2 at one time or another, about 3" in from the pin boss's both side's were cut now & welded back on at different degree's. What is the deal w/ that I wonder? So I have 7 degree's difference in spindle angle. In other word's, if the left side is 10 degree's the right is 17 degree's. Has anyone heard of this before? I bought this car back in november last year. I think I am looking at possibly starting over w/ a new fr. axel assembly unless someone understand's this cenerio that I have going on now Thank's guy's, Kris ------------- once in awhile, leaving early mean's you're trying hard!!!

kbartley 09-28-2008 04:24 AM

shimmy/shake

bjuice, thank's for moving my post for me. As I said earlier I just started in the forum a couple of day's ago, so I'm still learning the rope's. Just in case you guy's are wondering I have 2 Altered's. A hardtail & a 4-link. The 4-link car is the one I am having fr. end problem's w/. Just wanted to clear that up in case you happen to notice my eng.tech post. Kris

zipper06 09-28-2008 01:00 PM

You can get some pretty good choices on axles at Speedway if you're going to put a new one in.

Zip.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/m/310_...-Spindles.html