Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Any input on Predator carb's (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22834)

mopar1968 01-19-2009 04:19 PM

Any input on Predator carb's

Anyone have input on Predator carb's, good & bad?

zipper06 01-19-2009 06:48 PM

I've never personally run one but yrs. ago the monster trucks used to run them, and when i lived in Az. i had friends in a rock climbing club that ran them. I know they work better than a holly for up hill climbs, but as for drags i don't know.

JMO

Zip.

tcarda 01-20-2009 04:49 PM

Back a few years my cousins BBC had a two different setups with the Predators. One was a 2 carb set up and he had a 3 carb sheet metal intake with Predators on it. They seemed to work pretty good, but he never dynoed his motors.

Scooterz 01-21-2009 12:41 PM

A few of my buddies in the 80's had them... but they were Pro-Street appliactions. Back then, they were quite the carb. My friends BBC Chevelle had one & it was very responsive... similar to fuel injection... no hesitations, just clean & throaty.

hotrodharley 01-21-2009 01:40 PM

back when they first came out i had a speed shop that i sold a few..everyone that got one from me loved them..they also worked real good in the 4x4's..at the time they came out you couldn't beat them for reponse and performance then.they was varable venture so they adjucted there self to size carb you needed.one size for all..the first ones didn't have a idle system in them but the next year they came out with the second model that had a idle system in it...they where the best in there time..the 3 major drawbacks they had that stop them was they munted where the linkage was in front of engine[instead of on side]so you had to build or buy a bellcrank linkage to use them..another drawback was no air cleaners fit them then.and 3rd drawback was the cost was double the cost of any other carb..i say that i sold a dozen or so of them before they phazed out.

mopar1968 01-21-2009 05:40 PM

Can you still get parts for them?

fla1976 01-21-2009 05:55 PM

Carb

Here is their website:
www.predatorcarb.com/

TheYellaBrick 01-21-2009 07:19 PM

Just a little trip down memory lane before my memory is completely gone......
I lived in McCall, Idaho for 18 years. The man who invented the Predator carb lived outside of Donnely, a crossroads just down the road a piece. The guy was an old country machinist, who's name escapes me at this minute, but was a genius ! Shoulda seen some of his prototypes ! ( kinda like my own shop !) I've seen and fondled some of the Predator prototypes, working and non working. I believe this was after he sold the patent. I never used one nor saw one on an engine while in use.

JimmySmith 01-27-2009 04:41 PM

Predetors

I have run the predetor some and it is a bugger bear on throttle response and sounds excellant but will not run good down track on 1/4 mile but very simple . Later J.Smith 4621 racing

blacksleeper 01-30-2009 06:02 AM

A friend of mine has a two carb set-up on a BBF mudtruck/rockcrawler. Awsome throttle response. But he's constantly adjusting for conditions. Another friend had one a while back on a street racing truck, he said the same, constantly had to tune it.