Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Resurrecting an old race car - beginnings (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20707)

Oldewalnut 05-03-2008 05:40 PM

Resurrecting an old race car - beginnings

Well, first off, I'm apparently not smart enough to use my new computer. I've taken a handfull of photos of my car in it's present state. But, for the life of me, can't copy and paste them to this forum.

I did post them on my "Racespace" profile here on RJ. So, if anyone cares to, you can look up my profile and take a gander at a few views of what the car looks like. Right now, she's just ol' ugly.

Today, I borrowed a friends engine hoist and am starting to disassemble the old thing. I had forgotten how much fun headers are to remove from a 66 Nova. A pleasent surprise, the bolts easily came out of the Brodix heads. I was scared to death they would be frozen into the aluminum. I may get the drivetrain out of her next weekend. Got domestic chores to attend to on Sunday.

My buddy from work that is going to do the body work (the owner of the hoist) came over today to look the car over as well. After hashing over the body work. He crawled under the car and proceeded to try and convince me, we could fix the suspension ourselves. I've never done a four link but he's done a couple. If we can get it in right and straight, I could save myself a ton of money.

Gonna be a long slow process.

mopar1968 05-03-2008 06:14 PM

car

:) :) Nice looking car would be a shame to let it go to waste, please keep us updated in progress. 8) 8)

fla1976 05-03-2008 06:17 PM

Resurrecting

I like the "THINK" sign above the gauges. Great project. Always liked the older Nova and "Chevy II"s.

I972Nova 05-03-2008 06:35 PM

Yes it would be a shame to let that nice Nova goto waste. As long as you have someone who can weld very good, you can do a backhalf / suspension. The biggest part is measure everything alot and go slow with it.

I have faith in ya...lol....

Good Luck with it!

zipper06 05-03-2008 09:19 PM

Re: Resurrecting an old race car - beginnings

Originally Posted by Oldewalnut
Well, first off, I'm apparently not smart enough to use my new computer. I've taken a handfull of photos of my car in it's present state. But, for the life of me, can't copy and paste them to this forum.

I did post them on my "Racespace" profile here on RJ. So, if anyone cares to, you can look up my profile and take a gander at a few views of what the car looks like. Right now, she's just ol' ugly.

Today, I borrowed a friends engine hoist and am starting to disassemble the old thing. I had forgotten how much fun headers are to remove from a 66 Nova. A pleasent surprise, the bolts easily came out of the Brodix heads. I was scared to death they would be frozen into the aluminum. I may get the drivetrain out of her next weekend. Got domestic chores to attend to on Sunday.

My buddy from work that is going to do the body work (the owner of the hoist) came over today to look the car over as well. After hashing over the body work. He crawled under the car and proceeded to try and convince me, we could fix the suspension ourselves. I've never done a four link but he's done a couple. If we can get it in right and straight, I could save myself a ton of money.

Gonna be a long slow process.

Try uploading pics. to www.picoodle.com
And use the forum #1 copy and paste under your post they should then appear on the forum.

Zip.

Oldewalnut 05-04-2008 04:56 AM

Picture posting?

Thanks Zip. You come to the rescue again. I wasn't always this illiterate, but just don't stay as current with this stuff as I should. We knuckle draggers continue to try and evolve.

I may try this later in the evening. Got to mow the lawn, work on a motorcycle and a few dozen other things today.

Thanks buddy!!

Encouragement is welcome on this foray back into the car world. Even my buddy as he crawled over the old warbeast, commented "this is too nice an old car to not put it back together". Another friend of mine, whom is a dyed in wool Ford guy, was trying to help in my search for a Fox body Mustang, said "this is the right thing to do, it's bringing back a piece of the past".

Maybe with a little luck, it'll be my turn next season to talk about my passes down the track.