Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!! (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21906)

superbadass532 09-23-2008 05:14 PM

DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

This is kind of a long story......... Anyway about three weeks ago I got my 67 Camaro finally finished. I had the car completely stripped and repainted. So it was my first time out at the drag strip. I pulled the car off the trailer drive it around the pits and pulled into the lanes for my first pass of the season,pulled up made my pass every thing was fine,made a second pass everything seemed fine, The third pass the car seemed OK but it was getting late in the evening so I thought for sure it would pick up it normally does when it cools off. Well it slowed way down by about 3 tenths! I didn't think much of it thought it was something I had done wrong so I loaded it on the trailer and went home. I got up the next day(Sunday) and went back to the track. I unloaded the car and went to the staging lanes and waited to make my first pass of the day. I pulled up did my burnout and BAME!! it just stopped running. Well to make a long story short I took it home and pulled it apart and found I had spun a rod bearing #5. I got to the filter and took the filter off (FRAM FILTER) and to my total surprise the oil passage that the filter screws on to was completely clogged with what looked to be filter material!! I called Fram with my obvious concern and they said they would fax me a compensation form and they wanted me to fill the form out get an estimate of the damages and send this to Fram with the filter. I did. I heard back about a week later in a letter, basically saying that it was my fault not theirs????? Are they kidding. I've been using Fram filters my whole life 35 years and as a matter of fact the same filter on the Camaro all last season . Oh ...and the filter that fell apart was a NEW filter bought within the last 2 months this year. I think it is pretty crappy of them just to blow me off like they did not only did they lose a great customer but they have gained an enemy! My motor is well worth $12-15,000 not to mention the time of RR of the engine and I only wanted these Jackasses to cover my basic costs of $3000.00! But now they have a pissed off a good customer !!!! What are these people thinking! Sorry ......... But I just needed to vent! Stan

hammertime 09-23-2008 07:06 PM

Stan sorry to hear of your bad luck. Fram has had this issue for a few years now. I have sense moved to Pure One or Puralator with good luck. System 1 filters are the best for sure. Again sorry to hear what happened hope you get it fixed soon.

superbadass532 09-23-2008 07:55 PM

Hammertime, Thanks for the info on the filters . I have heard that Wix is one of the best also. I guess its more pissed that Fram wouldn't take care of my issue since I wasn't trying to take them to the bank I just wanted what was fare. What would $3000.00 be to Fram/Honeywell corp. It would be like you or I throwing a penny on the ground! Here I go again ......... This hole thing just gets my blood pressure up!! Thx

Tod74 09-23-2008 08:09 PM

I wouldn't put a fram on a lawn mower..but personaly have had no trouble just base that opinion on their reputation.

tazracing 09-24-2008 05:02 AM

EVERY BODY IN MY CAMP USES WIX 51061R FILTER.NEVER HAD PROBLEM. MY ONE BUDDY HAS A BLOWN ENGINE BECAUSE OF A FRAM FILTER.

gearhead1011 09-24-2008 05:13 AM

I have seen the damage caused by the junk fram filters 1st hand. I think the tough guard or whatever name they use now were the worst. My business was sued by a vehicle owner that supplied his own filter. Fram wouldn't take any of the blame for that one either even though they admitted the media was too restrictive. That was about 6 years ago and I have talked to several people since then that have had problems with fram oil filters. It seems like the majority of the problems were on a sbc application. John Force was endorsing the product at the time and some of the people that I talked to said if it was good enough for him it's good enough for me. That's about the only thing about force I don't like but I know celebs endorse products for the paycheck and we should keep that in mind.

Sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson but to me this is another good reason to spend the bucks and buy a good racing filter like a system 1. If you decide to go after fram I think I still have documentation about the garbage they produce that I can forward to you.

billhendren 09-24-2008 06:14 AM

I have had that happen twice to my customers even though i tell everyone of them NOT to use fram filters. the first one I filled out the forms and sent the filter in.[ BIG MISTAKE] same results as you,they wouldn't cover it and they had the filter [evidence] the second time i photographed the filter and engine damage and sent the pictures in but NOT the filter.guess what,there insurance company called me within a week,came and inspected the filter and engine and payed for the damage 100% within two weeks.I have since told several other racers who had the same problem not to send the filter in and they all have been payed Bill

zipper06 09-24-2008 07:27 AM

As mentioned above, System One if you can afford it, Wix, NAPA, made by Wix is probably the better OTC filter.
Funny thing someone gave me 6 fram filters for S/BLK chevy, they are still laying on the back bench, i use NAPA/Wix only, with 3 drivers and 1 race car.

JMO

Zip.

itsabird 09-24-2008 10:28 AM

i have used wix for the last 4 years, no prob so far, a racer i know had trouble,s with fram, but got to it before it trashed the engine. dump the fram for sure. imo.

gungho 09-24-2008 01:32 PM

Bought a wix today at work,spun off the fram and installed it when I got home,so now I can sleep tonight .I did here nightmares about fram but,there so cheap I buy em buy the half dozen.no more,thanks for the heads up
P.S. I lost my filter wrench so I now use my teeth.

superbadass532 09-24-2008 04:56 PM

Hey everyone ............ We all need to keep this going that's the only way we are going to get to the Honeywell/Fram corporation. Their so big they think that all of us little pee on's will just go away!!! I was at the NHRA Nationals a couple of weeks ago and mind you this was after my Fram problem. I was sitting in the stands with my wife to watch the top fuel cars run and low and behold what pulls up a Top fuel dragster with Fram plastered all over the side of it!!!!!!! Man that really pissed me off! They can advertise their garbage at drag racing events but they won't back their product! If they don't want to pay us when our engines blow up for using their JUNK filters that's OK JUST PUT A DISCLAIMER ON THE BOX >>>>>>>>>> NOT FOR ENGINES THAT MAKE HORSEPOWER!!!!!!!!
SORRY HAD TO VENT SOMEMORE

THX EVERYONE WHO HAS CHIMMED IN>

STAN

NorthMotorSports 09-25-2008 10:26 AM

Go to the scammer watch part of the forum.... O and not to piss you off anymore but things do break when theyre under a lot of stress I know your motor was hurt but still shit happens it wasnt fram's fault.... Ive used alot of products on alot of different things and everything breaks wether it be an oil filter or a damn rear end everything breaks..... Just my opinion on the deal

superbadass532 09-25-2008 11:59 AM

NorthMotorSports..... Thanks for your input! The problem I have is that Fram doesn't put anything out there on their filter boxes or anywhere else that says don't use their filters on a particular application! If they had something on their filter box that told me that a particular application might have a filter failure I would have used a different filter. They are a very BIG company you would think they would put something on their packaging that makes people aware of the potential problem. I think they are just sweeping it under the rug! I have talked to some of the best engine builders in the country and they all agreed with me and not to mention that they said that Fram filters are the reason they have had to fix engines that had the same problem I had ! Take a look at some of the others in this post if you haven't already and this is only a days worth !!! I can't wait to see how many will add to this post over the next few days.

Thx

superbadass532 09-25-2008 12:04 PM

NorthMotorSports..... Oh by the way this AIN'T no Scam! I am a real person with a REAL problem!

gungho 09-25-2008 12:24 PM

Boy I sure was glad Dunkin Donuts put the word "HOT" on their coffee,until they did I thought it was cold. :lol:

gearhead1011 09-25-2008 01:39 PM

I own an automotive repair shop and most of the prolems I've seen with the fram filters were on dailey drivers that were bone stock.

suicidebomb 09-25-2008 02:55 PM

Guys, I had problems with fram oil filters on my race car also, and wix, and napa brand, and K&N, and a couple of others that don't come to mind right now. My little smallblock, makes 75psi of oil pressure at idle, well north of a hundred at WOT. I don't know how high it goes, but my gauge pegs at 100psi. But after peering down into them and seeing the insides crushed, I figured that screwed on oil filters are not made to withstand that kind of pressure. IMHO if you're makin a lot of oil pressure, and expect a basically stock type canister filter to do the job, you're playin with fire. BTW, I don't run them anymore, I got myself a good rebuildable, cleanable, racing type oil filter. No more problems with collapsing oil filters. Before I leave, I'm not trying to fire anyone up, or take any sides in this little discussion, this is strictly my own observation, and my opinion, with no basis on scientific fact.

NorthMotorSports 09-26-2008 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by superbadass468
NorthMotorSports..... Thanks for your input! The problem I have is that Fram doesn't put anything out there on their filter boxes or anywhere else that says don't use their filters on a particular application! If they had something on their filter box that told me that a particular application might have a filter failure I would have used a different filter. They are a very BIG company you would think they would put something on their packaging that makes people aware of the potential problem. I think they are just sweeping it under the rug! I have talked to some of the best engine builders in the country and they all agreed with me and not to mention that they said that Fram filters are the reason they have had to fix engines that had the same problem I had ! Take a look at some of the others in this post if you haven't already and this is only a days worth !!! I can't wait to see how many will add to this post over the next few days

Thx

Dont get all worked up and by the way I never said you were a scammer I sadi that you should go post this on the scammer watch section saying that fram filters scammed you and what not so next time somebody states their opinion read their post and dont get worked up

jayss10 09-26-2008 02:39 PM

I have had dealings with fram filters also,what happens is they colpase,inside and then come apart,it has happen to several cust. i have had in past, i contacted fram about it about 5 years ago, wow still doing it,why would a oil filter company keep making something that is a problem,i would use a stp filter before a fram........JAY

Tod74 09-26-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by jayss10
I have had dealings with fram filters also,what happens is they colpase,inside and then come apart,it has happen to several cust. i have had in past, i contacted fram about it about 5 years ago, wow still doing it,why would a oil filter company keep making something that is a problem,i would use a stp filter before a fram........JAY

STP is made by FRAM I believe.

superbadass532 09-26-2008 08:01 PM

NorthMotorSports>>>> Sorry I took you the wrong way !! My Bad! I would put it on the Scammers board but it seems I am getting plenty of action on this board.
Thx

RonOwensRacing 09-26-2008 08:03 PM

I guess i am one of the lucky one's i used fram for a couple of years on a BBC and never had a problem i switch to the system one a few years ago just because it had a good reputation and i never have to buy another filter again.

But this is not the first time i have heard of fram and there filters I'm sorry to hear they want stand behind there product as big of a company as they are you would think that would be one of there first priority's to take care of the customers and make more of them instead of losing customers.

If this travels around enough i'm sure it will catch up to them just not soon enough.

mopar1968 09-26-2008 08:29 PM

I have alway's used K-N on my race car's had no problems. But now i use a moroso remote screen type filter.

bjuice 09-27-2008 04:47 PM

let me jump in here with 1st hand knowledge like the other guys.....3 yrs ago i had a fram on a 406ci sbc..69 camaro..street and strip car..oil pressure started creeping down..65/40/35/20...i shut it off in parking lot...towed car home, took line off oil gauge in car and hooked to another manual gauge with same problem......changed the filter to Pure one..BAM !!!! 65 psi..Been there ever since..i am just glad i caught in time....heck with Fram..

I agree with Bill send pictures and keep the evidence ( oil filter) if something happens like this...they have tons of insurance to cover stuff like this...sorry they did not cover you...that stinks !

Brian

DOLLARBILL1 09-28-2008 05:16 PM

Re: DON'T BUY FRAM OIL FILTERS !!!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by superbadass468
This is kind of a long story......... Anyway about three weeks ago I got my 67 Camaro finally finished. I had the car completely stripped and repainted. So it was my first time out at the drag strip. I pulled the car off the trailer drive it around the pits and pulled into the lanes for my first pass of the season,pulled up made my pass every thing was fine,made a second pass everything seemed fine, The third pass the car seemed OK but it was getting late in the evening so I thought for sure it would pick up it normally does when it cools off. Well it slowed way down by about 3 tenths! I didn't think much of it thought it was something I had done wrong so I loaded it on the trailer and went home. I got up the next day(Sunday) and went back to the track. I unloaded the car and went to the staging lanes and waited to make my first pass of the day. I pulled up did my burnout and BAME!! it just stopped running. Well to make a long story short I took it home and pulled it apart and found I had spun a rod bearing #5. I got to the filter and took the filter off (FRAM FILTER) and to my total surprise the oil passage that the filter screws on to was completely clogged with what looked to be filter material!! I called Fram with my obvious concern and they said they would fax me a compensation form and they wanted me to fill the form out get an estimate of the damages and send this to Fram with the filter. I did. I heard back about a week later in a letter, basically saying that it was my fault not theirs????? Are they kidding. I've been using Fram filters my whole life 35 years and as a matter of fact the same filter on the Camaro all last season . Oh ...and the filter that fell apart was a NEW filter bought within the last 2 months this year. I think it is pretty crappy of them just to blow me off like they did not only did they lose a great customer but they have gained an enemy! My motor is well worth $12-15,000 not to mention the time of RR of the engine and I only wanted these Jackasses to cover my basic costs of $3000.00! But now they have a pissed off a good customer !!!! What are these people thinking! Sorry ......... But I just needed to vent! Stan

THANK YOU I BOUGHT A FRAM TODAY I WAS GOING TO CHANGE MY OIL THIS WEEK I WILL BE TAKEING THE FRAM BACK TO THE STORE MONDAY AN AGAIN THANKS

TheRabbit 09-29-2008 04:32 PM

Had it happen on my '94 (stock) Silverado about 8 years ago. I was lucky enough to be getting off the interstate right by my shop. Sure enough, the filter collapsed, but I was lucky to catch it in time. I called fram they sent me a form and wanted the filter back. I sold the truck and never sent them the filter and will never use another fram again.
I just use a Wix on my BBC and don't worry about it anymore.
Also make sure you use K&N oil for their air filters. No oil on the filter and you'll dust the motor if you drive in dusty conditions!!

mustangron 10-15-2008 01:41 PM

I had the same thing happen to my stock sbf while running a K&N.

Scooterz 10-16-2008 07:41 PM

That's scary... got one (Fram) on my SBC 4wd truck (use the motorhome 1+ QT). I will ditch it... bad service is unacceptable. I use dual remote K&N's on my BBC 69 Camaro... no problems though.

It makes sence that with high RPM/flow/PSI -VS- stock pressure relief valve in a Fram w/ much of the inner core being paper content to strain 100's of micrometers & an outer thin wall made for engines that are "point A to point B" commuters, that when put on a race motor it will explode/collapse/fail... not to mention FRAM's are failing on stock motors as someone mentioned earlier.

No offense, but I do not use a Chinese made cheap U-Joint on my Dana60 running 488's either.... or run cheap/weak header gaskets... I bought the .62 Copper ones. Why run this kind of filter on a race motor in the first place???

Again, I don't want to add salt to the wound, just curious. Rigsby

kwkracing 10-17-2008 06:35 PM

how about the engines that tear up and pump the metal through the filter slowly ripping it apart, then blame it on the oil filter or excessive oil pressure for a inadequate filter design? Just a thought.

bjuice 10-17-2008 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Rigsby
That's scary... got one (Fram) on my SBC 4wd truck (use the motorhome 1+ QT). I will ditch it... bad service is unacceptable. I use dual remote K&N's on my BBC 69 Camaro... no problems though.

It makes sence that with high RPM/flow/PSI -VS- stock pressure relief valve in a Fram w/ much of the inner core being paper content to strain 100's of micrometers & an outer thin wall made for engines that are "point A to point B" commuters, that when put on a race motor it will explode/collapse/fail... not to mention FRAM's are failing on stock motors as someone mentioned earlier.

No offense, but I do not use a Chinese made cheap U-Joint on my Dana60 running 488's either.... or run cheap/weak header gaskets... I bought the .62 Copper ones. Why run this kind of filter on a race motor in the first place???

Again, I don't want to add salt to the wound, just curious. Rigsby

lol :D ..OHH How many times i have seen 2 dollar parts used to finisheoff a high dollar piece.

Scooterz 10-17-2008 07:36 PM

It is a tough lesson none the less... w/ a manufacturer who represents a big pile of Coparate BS...

But still.....

I have used cheap fuel pressure guages... that stick.
I have used cheap valve cover gaskets... that leak.
I have use cheap motor mounts... that break.
I have used cheap shift kits... that destroy transmissions.
Anyone ever had a cheap tach fail??? I have.

FRAM: (F)reakin'(R)uined(A)nother(M)otor

Anyways, it is a shame to lose a motor over a cheap product.

fla1976 10-18-2008 02:00 PM

Fram

I just made a 180 mile trip last Wednesday (Oct. 15) and when I got off the highway the engine ran fine but I heard a noise that sounded like a water valve opening and closing, kind of a thumping. This is in a Nissan Sentra 4 cylinder. I had earlier read this thread and it was fresh in my mind. The noise was coming from the area where the oil filter is located. It was a Fram. So I had the filter replaced at a Firestone dealer since that was the nearest garage and it requires the car to be way up in the air to facilitate removal of the filter. It is between the firewall and the block under the intake manifold. Needless to say, the noise is gone. I will never use Fram filters again. I got away cheap. In a racecar, I seriously doubt you could have heard the noise that it made. If you have a Fram oil filter, I would highly recommend changing it immediately.

jwc329 10-27-2008 03:56 PM

filter

i had a fram ph13 fail on me too.i dont use them anymore

kwkracing 10-27-2008 04:17 PM

Does anyone think these engines are tearing up the oil filters when they grenade?

bjuice 10-27-2008 04:31 PM

my 406ci did not grenade..i still have it and it runs fine....i started losing oil pressure as i went down the road and i parked it in a local business parking lot and had it towed home...if i wasn't an ANAL OLD fart who constantly watches his gauges it was a matter of mInutes/seconds i would have lost something in the engine.

and to be honest..i was thinking everything but the Oil fillter..1st thing that came to mind is a failing Oil Pump,then i said ok the oil gauge is going bad..hooked up another gauge..same problems (20 psi and creeping down)...next i even thought maybe i spun a cam bearing or a main ...then when i ruled out everything i just replaced the filter to a Pure one purelator and BAM !!!..OIL PRESSURE went from 20 psi to 65 psi in seconds flat....No problems since

if this had not happened to me personally i would be blowing this thread off as many probably have.... i am sure this doesn't happen to all people who use the fram filter but it has happened too many times..too many similiar stories...

fram sux

superbadass532 10-29-2008 06:09 PM

court date

I just want to thank everyone who chimmed in on this thread. I can say with confidence now that the Fram oil filter I used WAS the reason I had engine failure. I have filed in small claims court and have a date in November. I could only file for $3000.00 but I guess thats better than what I have now. That number just barely covers the engine repair. That doesn't include any of my time R&Ring the engine and not to mention the season is about over!! They will most likely want to settle out of court and most likely for less ! I guess I see where this all goes. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thx

Stan

edvancedengines 10-30-2008 12:51 AM

Best oil filtering system available. initially costs more but blown engines do cost tooo.

I WD this from them and can jobber to you.

www.gopurepower.com

Ed

cepx111 10-30-2008 01:32 AM

I don't know what happened to fram they probably went cheap on the material or something they used to be pretty good. I do know it has become a BIG problem for them and nobody I know uses them any more. Myself like many of my friends have gone to the 6 dollar pure one filter, Napa's wix filters are good too.
The main reason I chimmed in here is that if your like me you race and in a race stiuation you really don't have time to be staring at a oil pressure gauge. Granted you might glance at it during a burn-out or while staging and even at the end of the run but when your driving at WOT your focus better be on the track. Now every motor I ever raced I've put a BIG OLE low oil pressure idiot light on the dash, it's just like a shift light but with a red lens, they are super bright and easily seen.
A oil accumulator is great idea too and that coupled with a low oil pressure ignition kill swith and you'll be CYA for sure.

Just thought> Cp

mikeaton 11-14-2008 07:48 PM

fram

well ive been watching this thread and just for the record ,and yes i do this[change oil] for a living now in a "major" lube company ok walmart. after i retired after 25 years of wrenching for myself, i deceided to go back to work but in a slower enviorment. we average on a slow week 30-35 cars a day take 30 a day times 7 days a week is 210 cars times that by 52 weeks thats 10,920 cars a year. every one of them were fram filters! now before any of you pass judgement on me i dont run a fram in my race car or my transporter but all of my daily drivers i do. knock on wood at work as far as i know most all walmarts use fram filters in the oil bays. i havent heard about any failures related to the filters as i write this but all i can speak for is my store here in new mexico. just my 2 cents worth

TheRabbit 11-15-2008 11:00 AM

Re: fram

Originally Posted by mikeaton
well ive been watching this thread and just for the record ,and yes i do this[change oil] for a living now in a "major" lube company ok walmart. after i retired after 25 years of wrenching for myself, i deceided to go back to work but in a slower enviorment. we average on a slow week 30-35 cars a day take 30 a day times 7 days a week is 210 cars times that by 52 weeks thats 10,920 cars a year. every one of them were fram filters! now before any of you pass judgement on me i dont run a fram in my race car or my transporter but all of my daily drivers i do. knock on wood at work as far as i know most all walmarts use fram filters in the oil bays. i havent heard about any failures related to the filters as i write this but all i can speak for is my store here in new mexico. just my 2 cents worth

If there were 1 bad 1 made in 10 million I WOULD GET THAT 1 !!!
Never fails. anything that says "results may vary" I can count on getting the "very" worst!! No kidding you and I can go to a store together pick item off shelf together and dam if mine want be broke when i open the box. either way I WILL NEVER HAVE A FRAM PRODUCT ON MY MOTOR!!
Maybe your filters say MADE IN MEXICO on them!!!!! lol!!