Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   How do I check out a potential buyer? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34639)

racerbrowns 12-15-2014 06:45 AM

How do I check out a potential buyer?

I have someone that says he's very interested in buying my car. Said he was going to send a deposit. I told him non refundable via Paypal. He agreed. Then no contact . I texted him to see if he's still interested. He says yes very interested. Will get back to me this morning. Nothing as of yet. I'm getting very leary of this person. Is there a way to check out a potential buyer's credibility on this site? It seems as though when I mentioned Paypal and non refundable he started backpeddling. I don't want to be scammed. Any suggestions would be helpful

BigBlockMark 12-15-2014 10:28 AM

Sounds fishy so far. Who would send a deposit on a car that he has never seen in person? If he asks for your banking info to send the deposit to an account, I would not do it. I only accept UNITED STATES POSTAL MONEY ORDERS for any kind of non cash payment. Then I take it to the Post office and have it verified and have them cash it.

Can you verify his address and phone number?

Did he ask all the right questions that a real high performance guy would ask?

If he is a member of Racing Junk you can go to the Feedback and Scammers section of this forum and ask if anyone has dealt with him. If he is not a member maybe someone has heard of him on the forum if he has done this before.

racerbrowns 12-15-2014 06:07 PM

Thanks. As soon as I said Paypal he started really backtracking. I know about US Postal money orders. I worked at the P.O. for 20 years. That's the only other form of payment I would take. I was also going to find someone like a coin shop or a pawn shop that had a money counting machine so that I could verify the legitimacy of the cash because he said he was going to bring cash on Friday. But I think the whole thing is pointless because he said he texted me at noon and said he was going to call me at 4:00 regarding his deposit and surprise surprise.....no phone call. He did ask a couple of questions about the nitrous and about my 632. I will check the phone number on white pages but I didn't get his address. He did tell me that his home track is South Georgia Motorsports Park. I will try the Feedback & Scammers section. Thanks

BigBlockMark 12-16-2014 11:25 AM

You can get a counterfeit currency checking marking pen at Walmart to check each bill. Even if he is honest, there can be bogus bills mixed in with good. And banks do not check each bill.

BigBlockMark 12-16-2014 11:27 AM

Now that you know his home track, you should be able to go on their site, get a phone number and ask them if they know him.

TheEngineer 12-17-2014 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by BigBlockMark (Post 270181)
Now that you know his home track, you should be able to go on their site, get a phone number and ask them if they know him.

/\ That is some good advice from Mark! If he is an established racer at SGMP, the local racers will know him and the good, or bad aspects of his dealings. Also, he may not be trying to scam you, he may just be one of those completely "full of crap" people that never follow through on deals.