Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   how much will aluminum heads pick it up? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21531)

vega34 08-04-2008 05:11 AM

how much will aluminum heads pick it up?

i'm wanting to buy a pair of BRODIX ALUMINUM HEADS (158-1021001)i have 461 462 double hump heads now,will the brodix heads pick the car up any?and are they worth the $1100 plus,,and what all do you have to have done to the brodix heads after you get them?,,,thanks steve

olds48 08-04-2008 02:38 PM

Whether they pick you up or not depends on if your heads are holding you back right now.What are the specs on the rest of your engine?

hammertime 08-04-2008 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by olds48
Whether they pick you up or not depends on if your heads are holding you back right now.What are the specs on the rest of your engine?

x2 on that, weight difference will help though

zipper06 08-04-2008 07:07 PM

Heads all flow differently, some good porters can get doublehump heads to flow 270 CFM int. Almost every alum. head on the market flows better than that. Track 1's flow 272 cfm with port match out of the box. So with that said IMO you will gain the weight, plus maybe 1/10th in ET, no more.

JMO

Zip.

SST4530 08-05-2008 05:07 AM

I ran a set of ported 462's on my 406. Changed to a set of 227 AFR and a roller. picked up .6 in the 1/8 :)

vega34 08-05-2008 06:05 AM

355 w/steel crank roller rockers,geardrive timing,dome pistons i think 13-1 or 13-2 (can't remember what the guy said)

the car was running 6.93 that was the fastest i could get for about 6 weeks at 38 degrees,then i moved timing to 40 degrees and now she runs 6.84 in the 1/8,,i drive a 77 vega wagon and it weighs around 2400lbs

olds48 08-05-2008 02:56 PM

Yeah,the short stroke of a small block usually loves timing!What are your cam specs?BTW,those are good numbers for an iron headed 355.I know some cars have run faster with iron heads,but there are alot of guys that can't do 6.80s with iron heads:D But if car is running that good,it would say that a better flowing set of heads will help.I thought maybe you were one of those guys with a 250 horse 350 looking for a magic bolt-on :D You would pretty much have to know what your heads flow now,at different lifts,to decide if the ones you are looking at will improve you.But as far as aluminum over iron,there is no power to be found in one type of metal over another.Flow is flow and velocity is velocity.

suicidebomb 08-05-2008 03:32 PM

Olds, there is power in metal,If a guy gaters up enough Kryptonite he could kill superm.... Oh, nevermind :)

Tod74 08-05-2008 04:41 PM

I think they will make a big difference...I think the 461 heads were 1.94 stock with 64 cc chambers...might have been 2.02 not 100% sure.

vega34 08-06-2008 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by olds48
Yeah,the short stroke of a small block usually loves timing!What are your cam specs?BTW,those are good numbers for an iron headed 355.I know some cars have run faster with iron heads,but there are alot of guys that can't do 6.80s with iron heads:D But if car is running that good,it would say that a better flowing set of heads will help.I thought maybe you were one of those guys with a 250 horse 350 looking for a magic bolt-on :D You would pretty much have to know what your heads flow now,at different lifts,to decide if the ones you are looking at will improve you.But as far as aluminum over iron,there is no power to be found in one type of metal over another.Flow is flow and velocity is velocity.

sorry don't know the cam specs,i bought the car off of here about 8 weeks ago and don't know the inside of the motor to good,but i'm going through it this winter,,i've put a msd dist,a geardrive timing,coil over shocks(back)new lexan glass,i;ve tried to call and left messages for the guy i bought it from wanting to know stuff but he will not return my call,i think thats about as sorry a person can get(take the money and run)

i was racing one night had won first two rounds was in the third when my plug wirs got caught on my stering rod and pulled my dist,cap off breaking my roller button,nobody could figure out what kind of roller button it was(i still have not found a rollerbutton for it)i tried calling the guy to see if he knowed but no answere,,my friend says its a mallory dodge,so i bought new msd,,,,steve