Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Backfiring while driving, not while sitting still? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22277)

Trailerpro 11-16-2008 03:03 PM

Backfiring while driving, not while sitting still?

Hope someone here can help me out. I built a 351w, and after finally getting everything put together, it ran great for the break-in. Sitting still, it runs and sounds great. Problem I'm having is when I'm driving it's backfiring out the carb, but only while accelerating. Timing is set right, all vacuum lines are new, new fuel tank, lines, filter, complete new motor, trans, carb, etc. I'm bangin' my head on the wall now trying to figure out why it won't do it while sitting still in my shop, but as soon as I get on the road, Pop.

Anyone have any ideas to help a youngster out?

Thanks!

John T.

poncholvr 11-16-2008 08:48 PM

timing advance module bad?
oil pressure constant? keeping a intake v open at high rev?

dparker 11-16-2008 11:24 PM

Check your firing order sounds like spark plug wires crossed. If that doesn't fix it pull the valve covers and look for broken parts.
good luck

radicalz 11-17-2008 04:01 PM

:D :D ....Am i right this only happens under load in drive.....might want to ck the adjusters on the intake valves....either too tight or broken and not holding setting

Trailerpro 11-17-2008 05:25 PM

Well...not the adjusters, checked them earlier in the evening. Also put a different distributer in it just to make sure it wasn't the pick-up coil. Rechecked the firing order, and all the plugs/wires. No broken parts under the valve covers - everything looks great and new.

Hmmm...bangin my head against the wall one more time. It did start doing it in my shop while in park, but only while revving the motor.
Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!

John T.

lively 11-17-2008 05:43 PM

IF IT IS UNDER LOAD THE ONLY THING HAS TO BE SOME SORT OF ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION :shock: :shock:

I HAVE SEEN A WEAK BATTERY CAUSE THIS SAME THING TO HAPPEN IN A GRANPRIX I WORKED ON :evil: :evil:
JUST A THOUGHT BUT MIGHT BE WORTH CHECKING!!

LIVELY

hammertime 11-17-2008 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by lively
IF IT IS UNDER LOAD THE ONLY THING HAS TO BE SOME SORT OF ELECTRICAL MALFUNCTION :shock: :shock:

I HAVE SEEN A WEAK BATTERY CAUSE THIS SAME THING TO HAPPEN IN A GRANPRIX I WORKED ON :evil: :evil:
JUST A THOUGHT BUT MIGHT BE WORTH CHECKING!!

LIVELY

Lively is on the right track I think, low voltage could cause a problem.

I had one setup that ran fine sitting there but when you got into it, it'd miss ended up being plugs. Assuming you have checked them all, and ohm'd all the plug wires ? What ign setup are you using ?

bjuice 11-17-2008 05:50 PM

flat tappet or roller camshaft ?

flat tappets were bad about knocking lobes off camshaft resulting in the backfire your speaking of.

Next i would check Timing chain, also did you degree camshaft ?

i would rule out electrical 1st..but would look here in the end if the rest doesn't clear it up

food for thought.

lively 11-17-2008 05:54 PM

ANOTHER THING :shock: :shock: --IS IT A MISS OR A DEAD STUMBLE?? ARE YOU RUNNING A CAM OUT OF A 351W OR FOR A 302? DIFFERENT FIRING ORDERS!!!

LIVELY

signsbyesa 11-17-2008 05:59 PM

i had that problem one time with the spit fire spark plugs,
went and bought the reliable a/c and that fixed my problem,
sounded like the timing was off, bad spark plug, might
check that, i zapped my hand checking plugs, man what
a charge