Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   WATER VS. ANTIFREEZE (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30256)

nofearhky97 04-18-2011 01:25 PM

WATER VS. ANTIFREEZE

I am running a 468ci engine in a street car. I used to work on a stock car for many years, we ran water instead of coolant. I was wondering if i should run water instead of coolant in the radiator. Also does anybody run any additives in their cars?

Thanks.

johnracer 04-18-2011 03:59 PM

street car=antifreeze.......race car=water.....

Johnny

dragonmaster093 04-18-2011 07:43 PM

x2 know people that have run aditives and were happy havent myself

cepx111 04-18-2011 11:40 PM

Straight water will allow your engine to run cooler but affords no corrosion protection, I suggest a real weak mixture of water & coolant for summertime, then prior to winter time and the first freeze, stiffen up the mixture to a min of 50/50 of water/antifreeze.

Water wetters and those types of additives work okay, I used them with some success....

oldandtired 04-19-2011 04:18 AM

[quote="cepx111"]Straight water will allow your engine to run cooler but affords no corrosion protection, quote]
x2

Consider these possibilities- your water passage may have cast iron (block), aluminum (heads/AN fittings/radiator), bronze (waterpump bearing), stainless steel (intake bolts that go thru), pot metal (water neck). Do you know the galvanic action that occurs with heat and cooling plus the negative (ground) current?
Run something.....

fast75vega 04-19-2011 09:29 AM

water runs cooler then antifreeze and i always ran water with the additive called water wetter(autozone sells it) .... its good stuff and when your in and out of the motor alot...... its easier to deal with then antifreeze....and EPA safe :wink:

outlaw256 04-23-2011 03:47 AM

im no expert but ive been taught that coolant/antifreeze runs cooler than water.. anti freeze does have a higher boiling point than water.that i do know cause i ruined one of my wife cooking pots to test that .and pure antifreeze will freeze cause i put a gallon in my freezer and out came 1 gallon of frozen anti freeze.now that was COOL

fla1976 04-23-2011 04:52 AM

Here is the breakdown on Ethylene glycol antifreeze at sealevel.
Boiling Point B.P.
Freezing Point F.P.

Pure Water B.P. 100°C / 212°F F.P. 0°C / 32°F
Antifreeze/Water 50/50 mix B.P. 106°C / 223°F F.P. -37°C / -35° F
Antifreeze/Water 70/30 mix B.P. 113°C / 235°F F.P. -55°C / -67° F

Increasing altitude decreases the boiling point of water.

zipper06 04-23-2011 06:04 AM

What no one has mentioned here is that it's illegal to run antifreese at a NHRA or IHRA track at any event, in fact if you are caught you can be disqualified. This is due to the problem cleaning up the track from antifreeze, it twice as hard to fix the track with an antifreese spill.

JMO

Zip.

TheYellaBrick 04-23-2011 06:25 AM

Originally Posted by zipper06
What no one has mentioned here is that it's illegal to run antifreese at a NHRA or IHRA track at any event, in fact if you are caught you can be disqualified. This is due to the problem cleaning up the track from antifreeze, it twice as hard to fix the track with an antifreese spill.

JMO

Zip.

AF does not evaporate hardly at all, while H2o does. AF is VERY slick also ! PRECISELY why MOST tracks do not allow AF. Run pure H20 with water wetter as WW has lubricating and anti corrosion properties, and will evaporate with the H20.