Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   nos (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32298)

hotrod1994 07-07-2012 08:45 PM

nos

looking to possibly spray a stock 5.3 with a 100 shot i have 4.88 gears how will it work ? not looking for 1/4 mile times just looking for a quick street car that can get the job done 30" tire

coloradoracerguy 07-08-2012 05:09 AM

Don't see any reason why you can't............

Just an FYI though, "nos" as you put it is actually "NOS", or short for Nitrous Oxide Systems.......You can put nitrous on your vehicle, or "spray" it. It annoys the hell out of me when people say I have "nos" on the car......

Just ranting.........

TheYellaBrick 07-08-2012 06:20 AM

Thank that totally unrealistic, all drama queens and ricers 'Fast and Furious' cult film,.. and we're not talking about government gun running to the Mexican cartels.......

hotrod1994 07-08-2012 07:47 AM

yeah i know but i did want to write out nitrous oxide systems to much work hahaha.

chevynovaman 07-08-2012 08:21 AM

LS

MIGHT AS WELL GO WITH A 200 SHOT IF YOUR GOING TO MESS WITH "NOS" THE 5.3 WILL NEED SOME GOOD FLOWING HEADERS TO BE BENIFICIAL. ALSO IF YOUR STALL CONVERTER IS NOT SETUP FOR NOS IT COULD POSSIBLY REDLINE WHEN YOU HIT THE BUTTON, OR TO LOOSE.. YOU NEED A TIGHTER OR LOWER STALL SPEED TO KEEP THE RPMS DOWN.. STOP IN SOMETIME, R.C.

hotrod1994 07-08-2012 08:33 AM

yeah im still debating a 5.3 or a 6.0 6.0 without spray or a 5.3 with

hotrod1994 07-08-2012 08:39 AM

if i pick up a 6.0 and just put headers on it and tune what electrical stuff do i need out of the vehical?

coloradoracerguy 07-08-2012 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
yeah i know but i did want to write out nitrous oxide systems to much work hahaha.

That's the name of one of the first companies to start building nitrous systems for automotive performance use..............they are currently owned by Holley.....

From the questions you're asking now, I'd leave your project to a builder with more experience/knowledge.............You can't just throw something together and expect it to work properly or live very long.....Especially if you're playing with nitrous...........the stuff isn't very forgiving, even at low hp levels........and there is more to it than just bolting on a kit......Better do your homework

chevynovaman 07-08-2012 10:38 AM

LS

Originally Posted by mrbigtrucks
if i pick up a 6.0 and just put headers on it and tune what electrical stuff do i need out of the vehical?

QUESTION? CARBED OR INJECTED.. IF YOU GO CARBED YOU NEED TO GET THE MSD LS BOX, THEN ITS ONLY ONE HOT WIRE TO IT, AND WIRES FROM THE BOX PLUG INTO CRANK SENSOR, CAM SENSOR, AND COIL PACKS.. SIMPLE AS IT GETS... IF YOU GO INJECTED YOU WILL NEED TO REWORK A ORIGINAL SILVERADO HARNESS OR GET ONE CUSTOM BUILT, COMPUTER FLASHED, IF YOU DO A BIGGER CAM INJECTED, WILL BE SOME TIME CUSTOM TUNING..
ANYTIME YOU WANT TO BENCH RACE, STOP IN THE SHOP, THE DOORS HAVE BEEN CLOSED LATELY WITH THE HEAT... R.C.

hotrod1994 07-08-2012 08:54 PM

im thinking carb cause its gonna be easier... but i want to to keep the millage will the carb affect it much? ive been looking around around on fourms about the swap quite a bit
... yeah colorado im well aware its not just bolt on and go the timing has to be retarded as well as a number of other things... never really been into having someone else doing it for me id rather do it with the help of a friend