Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Air VS Nitrogen (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22303)

ashtrak 11-20-2008 02:59 AM

Air VS Nitrogen

Wanting a opinion on this topic. Now with with so many air compressors in trailers and the air which it produces Cheap for filling air pressures in your tires (Slicks and Front runners) What do es everyone think about getting a nitrogen tank to use insteed. Does the nitrogen in tires keep the same pressure in tires run after run, unlike air which rises from heat. Or do you think the cost to be not worth the trouble. What do you guys think

andamo 11-20-2008 04:23 PM

In my opinion, it's really not worth the work getting a cylinder of nitrogen set up in your trailer. You'd have to get a high pressure cylinder and a regulator to be able to use it. I don't know what the laws are about transporting a high pressure cylinder in a trailer, but it might be worth looking into. I can see where the roundy round racers would benefit from using it by maintaining the same pressure for possibly hours. On our car we air up a little high in the pits and make our final adjustments in the staging lanes right before we get get called to run. We also have a portable air pump that looks like a cordless drill in case we don't get the pressure right. Now I'm talking rear tires only since the fronts aren't as susceptible to the heat. Don't get caught up in the "trick of the day" mentality. Unless your working on multiple cars at the track and want to eliminate one more variable, stick with the tried an true.

rob41willys 11-20-2008 08:30 PM

I personally prefer to us the nitrogen bottle because you dont have to have a generator running or have electricity, just my prefrence but the added benefit of more stable tire pressures doesn't hurt either.

rob41willys 11-20-2008 08:33 PM

I forgot to add that I've used the same bottle for over 2 years

zipper06 11-20-2008 09:25 PM

WoW :!: :!: this post could get blown out of portation, because of the many factors involved. First does the tire know if it has air or nitrogen in it, i doubt it. Second has anyone ever checked what the tire pressure is after a 200 ft. burn out with Nitrogen VS air again :?:. Then it's North VS South, in the North you race in the daytime, in the South you race at Nite (too damn hot in the daytime) so if you don't have to have a generator you better have lot's of flashlights. Now some of the guys i know keep an oxygen bottle in the trailer to fill the air tank/tires/shifter bottle,etc. instead of a compressor and the air tank is carried on the tow vechicle, 4 wheeler/golf cart up to the staging lanes to make sure the tire pressure is to the liking.

HUMMMM :?: wonder if i put Helium in my tires will it go faster after all they will be lighter, JK

JMO

Zip.

ashtrak 11-20-2008 10:18 PM

Hey Zip. I like your reply on the 200 ft burnout. That maybe a tried and true test LOL but i don't think the starter at the track would appreciated.

zipper06 11-20-2008 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by ashtrak
Hey Zip. I like your reply on the 200 ft burnout. That maybe a tried and true test LOL but i don't think the starter at the track would appreciated.

HeHe, southern tracks, if it runs better than 6.0 everyone luvs it :D , even appreciates it, no one complains 8) you guys need too come down south sometimes you would be surprised at the reception you would get, it's racing at it's best, just ask BJ.

Zip.

cepx111 11-21-2008 12:09 AM

Heck were still racing @ Holly Springs, Ms > Cmon down ya'll...lol
They're having a three day big money race coming up Thanksgiving weekend.

As far as air verses NX, I prefer air mainly because it's free.
I do like the above mentioned method if needed that is usually its dead on after I cool the car down - But if needed I'll top it off a little on the high side and set them right before I go up to staging, oh and I don't use my generator to run an air compressor, I use that for my battery charger. I do use a air tank though $20 at harbor freight, 10 years and counting.
I highly doubt that you'd benefit any going to NX but it might make your ego feel better toting around that cool looking high pressure bottle & regulator along with your fancy tire pressure equalizing set-up. JMO >Cp

fla1976 11-21-2008 01:23 AM

nitrogen

I've always used a 78% mixture of nitrogen for my tires.

suicidebomb 11-21-2008 03:44 AM

I have always found the 78% mixture of nitrogen, to be quite satisfactory.