Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Sellers: Do you really wonder why your stuff doesn't sell? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34317)

bhp2dopp 02-28-2014 02:44 PM

Sellers: Do you really wonder why your stuff doesn't sell?

So this is a bit of a rant from a potential buyer, but it boggles the mind that some people honestly expect to sell a vehicle "over the internet" with some of the pictures posted and info given.

Long story short, I'm looking for a mustang roller. I've contacted several people (sellers) both in text and in phone calls made where we've always had a conversation.

As a seller myself, I know how much a royal PITA tire kickers can be. Either you are serious or you're not. I agree I don't want my time wasted anymore than any other seller does.

But to all you sellers, when you say you are going to "take pictures of X,Y,Z" actually do it! When you say you are going to check to see if you can find that lost title, actually do it! When you say you are going to give a complete list of items on the car, actually do it!

I simply cannot understand it tbh. People wonder why there are tire kickers, yet say f' all in the add in the 1st place. Then there's the add of a car taken with a cell phone camera at midnight that must've been taken when the photographer was at a full blown sprint!

I mean, does anyone want to actually sell something? You took the time to write up an add, and even thought about how much to ask for it. Why in the heck can't some of these sellers realize that a website that has potential buyers all throughout the 50 states and beyond, how they might actually want a good picture or good information about a car before they waste either driving all day with a trailer, time off work, fuel, money, etc.? Is this concept really hard to understand?

I see soo many godawful posted adds here, I've just plain stopped responding to them. And when the seller doesn't do what they say they are going to do (take a picture, give some details, ((really hard stuff I know))) for something THEY are trying to sell to a potential BUYER, how good do you think the transaction is going to go over with someone who is having to road trip to make it out there?

I swear, it's like common sense is completely thrown out the window nowadays. The best one's though, are the sellers that specifically write "serious buyers only / no tire kickers / don't waste my time!!! etc.," yet have one picture of the car (a crappy one at that) and a whopping 4 sentences of text trying to explain the whole thing. My favorite ending "Too much too list". What do you people expect? Not for anyone to ask questions?

Sorry for the rant, but I was just hit with 4 out of 4 of sellers that are essentially wasting MY time. And I'm the easiest person to deal with. I have the money. Just give me the info for crying out loud lol!

Just an observation on my past week's experience trying to BUY!!!! a car.

TheYellaBrick 02-28-2014 03:45 PM

All good points. Maybe a section in the classifieds, posting a 'guide' to SUCCESSFULLY and EFFECTIVELY listing your stuff for sale, is in order......

bjuice 02-28-2014 05:50 PM

Yep..Agreed.

Now come buy my 4 sec 10.5 1967 Outlaw Nova. Don't waste your time with those (everbody has one ) mustangs.....Jk lol...on the mustang anyhow... :D

mytmouz 02-28-2014 07:28 PM

As a 'former' seller, I can point out what made me stop running ads. You take pictures, post a price, give a description, then the 'buyers' want ten thousand pictures. Waste time doing that and the follow up messages and calls about the same thing over and over, then they offer you 3500 for 13,000 ride. I realize a buyer wants a bargain, and to be sure what they get, but my time is valuable to. Funny how asking for a deposit to cover your time and effort makes them disappear...

Flame away! Lol...

bjuice 03-01-2014 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by mytmouz
As a 'former' seller, I can point out what made me stop running ads. You take pictures, post a price, give a description, then the 'buyers' want ten thousand pictures. Waste time doing that and the follow up messages and calls about the same thing over and over, then they offer you 3500 for 13,000 ride. I realize a buyer wants a bargain, and to be sure what they get, but my time is valuable to. Funny how asking for a deposit to cover your time and effort makes them disappear...

Flame away! Lol...

Pretty much why my Nova is not advertised right now but on the flip side a few years ago I sold a top notch 63 vette well over the 60k mark to a man out of the country. You better believe I dealt with all that you mentioned and then some. Botton line had I not went ahead and posted the ad I might still have the vette. This tire kicking is part of it the question is what your willing to put up with.

I may try the Nova again here in spring if a local guy doesn't get on board.

TheYellaBrick 03-01-2014 06:34 AM

Selling race cars on the world wide web is akin to online dating ....LOTS of dreamers, phonies, scammers .

:shock: :shock: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

bhp2dopp 03-01-2014 09:47 AM

Flame away! Lol...

But the real questions is: Why are they asking questions in the 1st place? Why do they need to see more pictures etc?

When I sell a race car, I have the add broken down into every minute detail there is. Every single component in the engine, the type of tranny (if it's a pro build from a company or the parts in it if it's something I assembled), all the suspension components and brands, the entirety of the rear end (what diff/spool/axles, gear ratio and brands of parts), and I basically do that from the engine, transmission, suspension, fuel system, interior, rear end, brakes, and all the accessories. This also includes sizes of the jets (if a NOS application), # of passes on the parts, etc.

So basically the only questions anyone ever ask me about the car I'm selling in the 1st place is do you have any more pictures, or "does the cigar lighter work"? All the 1000's of questions people ask are because SELLERS don't detail their add. Again, if I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm buying. A blanket statement like "it's built with the best of the best", doesn't cut it.

And I'm sorry that people want to see pictures, but this is the easiest process to prepare. When I'm selling something, I'll either put it on the hoist or on some jackstands, pull the wheels, and take PICTURES of everything. That includes every single cage weld, every detail of the interior, every detail of the exterior (from close up everywhere to far away shots) to every single detail of the suspension (front and rear) to every detail of the fuel system, under hood, trunk lid. You name it, I have pictures of it. And I do this with a camera (not a damn cell phone) and have 2600x1600 resolution (these pictures are huge and detailed)

But the beauty of the internet is there are a million different free file storage spots to upload your pictures to. So once you are all done taking the pictures (only need to do it once) you zip them all up into one single file and then upload them to one of these upload sites. That upload site gives you a hyperlink to use to download your .zip file.

So essentially, anytime anyone asks for more pictures all you have to do is send them one simple link that you either have copied to your cell (so you can text it to them) or you can simply send them the link in a PM or email (depending on who asked). So the entire process of "sending" pictures is as simple as copy and pasting one single link that will lead the buyer to all the pictures he can handle.

My point is, if you expect to sell something, you actually have to SELL something and give details. We all know what's in a 93 Z28 with a manual tranny from a dealership. But us buyers have every right to know all the parts they are trying to buy in a race car.

So what I've said above, from start to finish, (from a detailed ad to taking the pics, uploading them, and then getting a link) might take a couple hours to do (depending on your typing ability), but that 2 hours of work makes selling a breeze as the buyer can't really ask any questions if everything he asks about is already detailed in the add. And when sending pictures is a mouse click or a simple text of a hyperlink, you as the seller are on easy street. I will never understand a seller being upset at a buyer for asking questions or wanting pictures. I know there are plenty of tire kickers out there. But if you start off detailed, and are prepared with all the pictures someone can handle and an easy delivery system for them, you'll find out not only how fast your stuff sells, you'll also find out that the amount of questions are drastically reduced.

Last time I sold a race car, the only questions that were asked were about something I completely forgot to put in the add. I immediately fixed/edited the ad, and never had that question again. So think to yourself, go through all the texts, emails, PMs from buyers and tell me how many questions wouldn't have been asked (legit ones) if you had simply detailed your add in the 1st place. I think you'll find out the seller is even more at fault with tire kickers than the buyer is.

And I'm not trying to slam you or anything, I just know, from my own experience, if I do what I say above, the selling experience is a good one, with hardly any questions asked (what is there to ask when you stated EVERYTHING about the car?), and when they ask for pictures you give em a simple link to download more pictures than they can handle that are in HD and HUGE. As a seller, that is easy. Try it once, you might just be surprised at how your future for sale ads go.

bhp2dopp 03-01-2014 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by bjuice
Yep..Agreed.

Now come buy my 4 sec 10.5 1967 Outlaw Nova. Don't waste your time with those (everbody has one ) mustangs.....Jk lol...on the mustang anyhow... :D

Hey I like good ol GM iron as much as the next guy. :) But I love mustangs more. :D

bjuice 03-01-2014 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by bhp2dopp

Yep..Agreed.

Hey I like good ol GM iron as much as the next guy. :) But I love mustangs more. :D

Them mustangs run awesome."Built Ford tough with Chevy stuff"....lol :D

bjuice 03-01-2014 04:41 PM

Flame away! Lol...

But the real questions is: Why are they asking questions in the 1st place? Why do they need to see more pictures etc?

When I sell a race car, I have the add broken down into every minute detail there is. Every single component in the engine, the type of tranny (if it's a pro build from a company or the parts in it if it's something I assembled), all the suspension components and brands, the entirety of the rear end (what diff/spool/axles, gear ratio and brands of parts), and I basically do that from the engine, transmission, suspension, fuel system, interior, rear end, brakes, and all the accessories. This also includes sizes of the jets (if a NOS application), # of passes on the parts, etc.

So basically the only questions anyone ever ask me about the car I'm selling in the 1st place is do you have any more pictures, or "does the cigar lighter work"? All the 1000's of questions people ask are because SELLERS don't detail their add. Again, if I'm a buyer I want to know what I'm buying. A blanket statement like "it's built with the best of the best", doesn't cut it.

And I'm sorry that people want to see pictures, but this is the easiest process to prepare. When I'm selling something, I'll either put it on the hoist or on some jackstands, pull the wheels, and take PICTURES of everything. That includes every single cage weld, every detail of the interior, every detail of the exterior (from close up everywhere to far away shots) to every single detail of the suspension (front and rear) to every detail of the fuel system, under hood, trunk lid. You name it, I have pictures of it. And I do this with a camera (not a damn cell phone) and have 2600x1600 resolution (these pictures are huge and detailed)

But the beauty of the internet is there are a million different free file storage spots to upload your pictures to. So once you are all done taking the pictures (only need to do it once) you zip them all up into one single file and then upload them to one of these upload sites. That upload site gives you a hyperlink to use to download your .zip file.

So essentially, anytime anyone asks for more pictures all you have to do is send them one simple link that you either have copied to your cell (so you can text it to them) or you can simply send them the link in a PM or email (depending on who asked). So the entire process of "sending" pictures is as simple as copy and pasting one single link that will lead the buyer to all the pictures he can handle.

My point is, if you expect to sell something, you actually have to SELL something and give details. We all know what's in a 93 Z28 with a manual tranny from a dealership. But us buyers have every right to know all the parts they are trying to buy in a race car.

So what I've said above, from start to finish, (from a detailed ad to taking the pics, uploading them, and then getting a link) might take a couple hours to do (depending on your typing ability), but that 2 hours of work makes selling a breeze as the buyer can't really ask any questions if everything he asks about is already detailed in the add. And when sending pictures is a mouse click or a simple text of a hyperlink, you as the seller are on easy street. I will never understand a seller being upset at a buyer for asking questions or wanting pictures. I know there are plenty of tire kickers out there. But if you start off detailed, and are prepared with all the pictures someone can handle and an easy delivery system for them, you'll find out not only how fast your stuff sells, you'll also find out that the amount of questions are drastically reduced.

Last time I sold a race car, the only questions that were asked were about something I completely forgot to put in the add. I immediately fixed/edited the ad, and never had that question again. So think to yourself, go through all the texts, emails, PMs from buyers and tell me how many questions wouldn't have been asked (legit ones) if you had simply detailed your add in the 1st place. I think you'll find out the seller is even more at fault with tire kickers than the buyer is.

And I'm not trying to slam you or anything, I just know, from my own experience, if I do what I say above, the selling experience is a good one, with hardly any questions asked (what is there to ask when you stated EVERYTHING about the car?), and when they ask for pictures you give em a simple link to download more pictures than they can handle that are in HD and HUGE. As a seller, that is easy. Try it once, you might just be surprised at how your future for sale ads go.

I'll tell ya a good one "OBO" then when you make a resonable offer they get pissed. Or worse they do not put a price...and the never fail...asking price 10,000 trade value $15,000...wtf lol...ok your stuff is worth twice my stuff...ok if you will do some trading andcash difference then lets trade..no use in advertising the juice....lol

bhp2dopp 03-01-2014 06:43 PM

Yep..Agreed.

Hey now :) Some of the Chevy guys better really look at that LS motor. That is right out of Ford's Small Block. You know it uses virtually the same bore spacing as a SBF now, the same firing order as a SBF now, and it also uses symmetrical intake/exhaust runners, and identical head bolt spacing (4 around each cylinder). It basically completely dumps the SBC of old and takes a page right out of Ford.

I know some people that have had custom camshafts ground to run LS heads on a SBF block as they will bolt right up. I mean, I'm a big fan of the new LS stuff, but it's kinda plain to see where it came from :D

I would imagine Ford, had they not stopped making pushrod V8's in the 90's, would have gone to a beefier block/crossbolted mains and some of the other upgrades a factory LS has over a factory Ford block of old, but the Mod motor blocks they replaced the old pushrod motors with also do just that (good to 1000HP from the factory).

Not trying to get into a debate, but as a long time Chevy guy and a long time Ford guy, the LS, to me, is a direct ripoff from Ford. Hell, I remember all the Chevy guys making fun of the Ford guys back in the day about the distributor being in front. Guess where an LS distributor sits? :) I'm just sayin. The motor should do good. It always did for Ford :)

To give you an example. Here's an old 5.0HO head gasket mating up to an LS head. Kinda makes you think a bit eh? Grab the SBC head gasket of old and they aren't even close.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/IM000590.jpg

And then the LS heads on a Ford small block:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/IM000605.jpg

So to your statement. "LS is the best Ford motor Chevy ever Built" :)

PS - I'm just giving you crap. Don't get upset. I'm a horsepower junkie and like them all ;)

mytmouz 03-01-2014 10:37 PM

Difference of opinion I guess. Posting a vehicle has a stock block, after market crank made by so and so, yadda yadda, doesn't need ten phone calls or email replies. If you are interested, come look. If you are serious and if you want every detail before you make an inspection trip, then put up a deposit as a show of faith that you aren't wasting my time, and I will accommodate you. I am not talking big money, but say 20 bucks. That let's me know you are a serious buyer, and not a tire kicker. If I had a nickel for every time I was told I will be there this weekend to look at it, and then no show or no call, I would retire, lol.... It might be your money, but the sale isn't all about you. (I am not saying you in particular, just buyers in general)..

bjuice 03-02-2014 02:42 AM

Yep..Agreed.

Hey now :) Some of the Chevy guys better really look at that LS motor. That is right out of Ford's Small Block. You know it uses virtually the same bore spacing as a SBF now, the same firing order as a SBF now, and it also uses symmetrical intake/exhaust runners, and identical head bolt spacing (4 around each cylinder). It basically completely dumps the SBC of old and takes a page right out of Ford.

I know some people that have had custom camshafts ground to run LS heads on a SBF block as they will bolt right up. I mean, I'm a big fan of the new LS stuff, but it's kinda plain to see where it came from :D

I would imagine Ford, had they not stopped making pushrod V8's in the 90's, would have gone to a beefier block/crossbolted mains and some of the other upgrades a factory LS has over a factory Ford block of old, but the Mod motor blocks they replaced the old pushrod motors with also do just that (good to 1000HP from the factory).

Not trying to get into a debate, but as a long time Chevy guy and a long time Ford guy, the LS, to me, is a direct ripoff from Ford. Hell, I remember all the Chevy guys making fun of the Ford guys back in the day about the distributor being in front. Guess where an LS distributor sits? :) I'm just sayin. The motor should do good. It always did for Ford :)

To give you an example. Here's an old 5.0HO head gasket mating up to an LS head. Kinda makes you think a bit eh? Grab the SBC head gasket of old and they aren't even close.

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/IM000590.jpg

And then the LS heads on a Ford small block:

http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z...t/IM000605.jpg

So to your statement. "LS is the best Ford motor Chevy ever Built" :)

PS - I'm just giving you crap. Don't get upset. I'm a horsepower junkie and like them all ;)

No brother don't you even think for a SECOND I would get bent with you on this stuff.I am actually impressed with your latest knowledge of chevy/Ford and the LS motor . I too love them all...all jokes aside I could not afford FORD FE stuff growing up..lol... FORD IMO also killed CHEVY when the came out with the 69 bodystyle retro look Don't know what Chevy was thinking with that BIG BLOCKY looking camaro bodystyle it does NOTHING for me at all. I mean what was they thinking why didn't they go with their homerun 69 camaro body style..I would have started counting my pennies for that one..I mean make a spec car or a very limited series of the 69 body style and equal it to some off the shelve FORD horsepower and see where it goes. And last FORD took NO FEDERAL BAILOUT MONEY when the economy tanked..So my next truck (F250) or family car will be a FORD. :D

Harbone 03-02-2014 04:39 AM

OMG there is a Ferd LS motor in my Trans Am :!: :?: :!: :?: :!: :?:

Lively where are you? I have a car that you need to buy! :lol:

shawnp 03-02-2014 01:51 PM

I have been selling on the web for a long time. There used to be a courtesy from buyers. I always post as many photos and as much info as I can in any ad. I think it' a seller's courtesy to provide all of the info and clear photos so that a buyer doesn't waste their time or yours. It's when you do this and the potential buyer asks for more info to not give the seller the courtesy of a response to say they want it or to say they will pass. Nothing more frustrating then a person say they will get back to you and then not have the courtesy to respond.

bjuice 03-02-2014 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by shawnp
I have been selling on the web for a long time. There used to be a courtesy from buyers. I always post as many photos and as much info as I can in any ad. I think it' a seller's courtesy to provide all of the info and clear photos so that a buyer doesn't waste their time or yours. It's when you do this and the potential buyer asks for more info to not give the seller the courtesy of a response to say they want it or to say they will pass. Nothing more frustrating then a person say they will get back to you and then not have the courtesy to respond.

No Question but its anywhere you advertise . The reason buyers and sellers get so much of this crap is because your ad or anothers ad is getting plenty of local and national exposure on RJ . Brick hit it on the head. Make NO mistake about it selling is plain work . Buying will be equal work if you take the time and execute the Due Diligence you should OR roll the dice and take the greedy/lazy way and then we reading about how someone got scamned because they sent $500 in change after the long lost relative deposited $500 more than the cost of the item and the funds are bogus or some chit like that....LMAO.

jtortorete 03-02-2014 10:10 PM

WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU

ON THE SUBJECT OF BUYING AND SELLING ON THE NET. NO MATTER WHERE YOU SELL, RJ, EBAY, ETC, IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. THERE IS NO EXACT METHOD THAT WORKS BETTER THAN ANOTHER.

THE USE OF COMMON SENSE, WHICH I FIND IS NOT COMMON TO EVERYONE. BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR STUFF AND BE PATIENT, SOME NUT WILL BUY YOUR S--- EVENTUALLY. I HAVE NEVER LISTED SOMETHING AND NOT SOLD IT.

YOU NEED TO PUT UP WITH THE IDIOTS, THE BRAIN DEAD, AND OF COURSE THE ONES WITH NO COMMON SENSE ABOUT THE WORLD IN GENERAL.

JUST ONE NOTE; BJUICE, MUSTANG MAN IS NOT BUYING YOUR NOVA!!

JACK

bjuice 03-03-2014 02:52 AM

Re: WHATEVER WORKS FOR YOU

Originally Posted by jtortorete
ON THE SUBJECT OF BUYING AND SELLING ON THE NET. NO MATTER WHERE YOU SELL, RJ, EBAY, ETC, IT IS ALL ABOUT WHAT WORKS FOR YOU. THERE IS NO EXACT METHOD THAT WORKS BETTER THAN ANOTHER.

THE USE OF COMMON SENSE, WHICH I FIND IS NOT COMMON TO EVERYONE. BE HONEST ABOUT YOUR STUFF AND BE PATIENT, SOME NUT WILL BUY YOUR S--- EVENTUALLY. I HAVE NEVER LISTED SOMETHING AND NOT SOLD IT.

YOU NEED TO PUT UP WITH THE IDIOTS, THE BRAIN DEAD, AND OF COURSE THE ONES WITH NO COMMON SENSE ABOUT THE WORLD IN GENERAL.

JUST ONE NOTE; BJUICE, MUSTANG MAN IS NOT BUYING YOUR NOVA!!

JACK

Great Post !!!!!

shybx1969 03-04-2014 01:42 PM

Problem is like my daddy used too say.Nobody trusts anyone anymore.How many times have you heard on phone... ok ill look at car at such and such time, and never hear from the guy again. Or how many times have we done this too other people because a better deal came along. :roll: Problem is in the ole days people didnt travel 1000+ miles too look atta car. You picked up the paper/or word of mouth from a buddy/or just happened too see inna used car lot/ or someones house.All the handshake stuff/someones word is gone.....Its the way society is now.Do i try to look atta car/bike/boat when i say yes i personally will at leaste call and tell em i wont make it or tell em i found a better deal. All respect for people is basically gone. A friend of mine totally got out of the car hobby just because he got tired of the dishonesty/scamming...yes this ss is original/yes this part will fit,yes thiers nuthing wrong with this car. Really if the cars so great why dont u just keep it... :roll: SOCIETY HAS CHANGED...

jtortorete 03-04-2014 08:51 PM

answer to shybx 1969

GUY,

ALL YOU SAY IS TRUE, BUT IT IS THE BUYERS RESPONSIBLE TO GET OUT OF THE SELLER ALL HE NEEDS TO KNOW, OR YOU JUST DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING SAID, AND GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. ALSO YOU CAN JUST WALK AWAY. THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER ONE OUT THERE TO BUY.

IF YOU REALLY ARE INTO THIS SPORT, NO ONE SHOULD DISCOURAGE YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU REALLY ENJOY; OR YOU ARE AT THE POINT WHERE YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR A NEW HOBBY LIKE YOUR FRIEND DID.

I HAVE BEEN BUYING USED STUFF FOR A LONG TIME. SINCE THE 60'S, AND IF IT IS WHAT I WANT OR NEED, I DO RESEARCH WORK OVER THE PHONE, AND GET PICTURES, AND THEN IF I AM BUYING SOMETHING OVER $10,000, I DO LOOK AT IT. YOU NEED TO BE NUTS IF YOU DO NOT. IF YOU NEED TO FLY, OR TAKE YOUR TRAILER, THAT IS WHAT YOU DO. I HAVE DONE BOTH. I CAME HOME EMPTY HANDED, BUT SATISFIED THAT I DID NOT LOSE MY MONEY ON A GUYS WORD AND HIS PICTURES.

I ALSO BOUGHT THE RACE CAR I AM RACING NOW. I GOT IT FROM A GUY 1000 MILES FROM MY HOME, AND BROUGHT THE CAR HOME ON THE GUYS TRAILER, I BOUGHT WITH THE CAR. IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS OF DEALING TO GET IT, BUT I SURE WAS HAPPY WHEN I DID.

I DO NOT BELIEVE PEOPLE IN THIS SPORT ARE BORN TO CHEAT YOU, LIE TO YOU ON PURPOSE, OR TO PROCRASTINATE ON GETTING YOU THE INFO YOU NEED. THEY ARE MOSTLY LAZY OR BUSY PEOPLE, SO IF YOU WANT IT YOU NEED TO PERSIST.

JUST USE COMMON SENSE, BE PERSISTENT, OR IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED IN ANY WAY, JUST WALK AWAY!

JACK

"DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY"

mytmouz 03-04-2014 10:04 PM

No way would I deal with someone for three months for a sale, whatever the price...

bjuice 03-05-2014 10:07 AM

No way would I deal with someone for three months for a sale, whatever the price...

Why ?

shawnp 03-05-2014 10:25 AM

Sometimes there are cases where you do have to deal a little longer. A prime example would be dealing with selling a car that is being shipped out of the country. I know that I helped put together a deal that sent a 66 Nova to Australia. It took about a few weeks of questions, a week to get a deposit, a few weeks for the broker handling the transaction for the buyer to get all his documents in line and then the money transfer to go thru. All in all, probably 8-10 weeks until the car was paid for and picked up.

bjuice 03-05-2014 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by shawnp

Sometimes there are cases where you do have to deal a little longer. A prime example would be dealing with selling a car that is being shipped out of the country. I know that I helped put together a deal that sent a 66 Nova to Australia. It took about a few weeks of questions, a week to get a deposit, a few weeks for the broker handling the transaction for the buyer to get all his documents in line and then the money transfer to go thru. All in all, probably 8-10 weeks until the car was paid for and picked up.

Pretty much same here. Sold oout of Country..The man was working on the deal each week. Lot of laws many do not know of importing race cars into another country. At the end of the 3 month hassle. I counted 70,000 in hundreds to the bank. I am about to list Nova and I will be patient.

Harbone 03-05-2014 01:04 PM

I am always patient if I know the buyer is serious. When I sold my 79 Z28 to a guy in Amarillo Texas, we talked for almost 2 months before money changed hands. I had no other "serious" buyers inquire in the time that he and I were talking. He paid me and the car sat in my garage for almost another month while he arranged shipping.

shybx1969 03-05-2014 03:16 PM

Re: answer to shybx 1969

Originally Posted by jtortorete
GUY,

ALL YOU SAY IS TRUE, BUT IT IS THE BUYERS RESPONSIBLE TO GET OUT OF THE SELLER ALL HE NEEDS TO KNOW, OR YOU JUST DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING SAID, AND GO CHECK IT OUT FOR YOURSELF. ALSO YOU CAN JUST WALK AWAY. THERE IS ALWAYS ANOTHER ONE OUT THERE TO BUY.

IF YOU REALLY ARE INTO THIS SPORT, NO ONE SHOULD DISCOURAGE YOU FROM DOING WHAT YOU REALLY ENJOY; OR YOU ARE AT THE POINT WHERE YOU NEED TO LOOK FOR A NEW HOBBY LIKE YOUR FRIEND DID.

I HAVE BEEN BUYING USED STUFF FOR A LONG TIME. SINCE THE 60'S, AND IF IT IS WHAT I WANT OR NEED, I DO RESEARCH WORK OVER THE PHONE, AND GET PICTURES, AND THEN IF I AM BUYING SOMETHING OVER $10,000, I DO LOOK AT IT. YOU NEED TO BE NUTS IF YOU DO NOT. IF YOU NEED TO FLY, OR TAKE YOUR TRAILER, THAT IS WHAT YOU DO. I HAVE DONE BOTH. I CAME HOME EMPTY HANDED, BUT SATISFIED THAT I DID NOT LOSE MY MONEY ON A GUYS WORD AND HIS PICTURES.

I ALSO BOUGHT THE RACE CAR I AM RACING NOW. I GOT IT FROM A GUY 1000 MILES FROM MY HOME, AND BROUGHT THE CAR HOME ON THE GUYS TRAILER, I BOUGHT WITH THE CAR. IT TOOK ME 3 MONTHS OF DEALING TO GET IT, BUT I SURE WAS HAPPY WHEN I DID.

I DO NOT BELIEVE PEOPLE IN THIS SPORT ARE BORN TO CHEAT YOU, LIE TO YOU ON PURPOSE, OR TO PROCRASTINATE ON GETTING YOU THE INFO YOU NEED. THEY ARE MOSTLY LAZY OR BUSY PEOPLE, SO IF YOU WANT IT YOU NEED TO PERSIST.

JUST USE COMMON SENSE, BE PERSISTENT, OR IF YOU ARE NOT SATISFIED IN ANY WAY, JUST WALK AWAY!

JACK

"DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY"

Hey pal dont jump down my throat, im not buying your car/ or selling too you..Im just telling you how most people are.If you cant handle what im saying too bad.I didnt say thiers anything wrong with asking alotta ??? see you give yer opinion yer a bad guy...

mytmouz 03-05-2014 09:35 PM

Why ?

Because there is pretty much zero chance I got more for it than I was originally asking for it. And three months is wasting my time, which I value.
A non refundable deposit while shipping was arranged, and waiting on the funds to clear, maybe...

TheYellaBrick 03-06-2014 07:32 AM

We each have a 'tolerance level' when it comes to moving iron......

jtortorete 03-06-2014 12:42 PM

WHY WAIT?

GUYS,

SORRY IF I GOT PEOPLE ROWELED UP, THAT WAS NOT MY INTENT, IT IS JUST MY THOUGHTS.

WHAT BRICK SAID IT PARTLY THE ANSWER. TOLERANCE LEVEL. IF YOU HAVE IT AND YOU ARE CONTROLLING THE DEAL, THEN USE IT.

MYTMOUZ DOES NOT HAVE THE PATIENTS TO WAIT.

SKYBX1969 THOUGHT I WAS ATTACKING HIS APPROACH TO BUYING OR SELLING. I DO NOT MEAN TO.

BJUICE FEELS THE POSSIBLE LOSE OF A DEPOSIT, AND THE TIME WAITING IS WASTED. MY OPINION IS IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU CAN GAIN FROM THE WAIT, AND THE WAIT DOES NOT EFFECT ANYTHING ELSE YOU HAVE GOING ON, AS THAT IS ALL IT IS; IS TIME. NOTHING ELSE I HAD GOING ON WAS AFFECTED, SO I USED THE TIME WAIT TO MY ADVANTAGE.

HARBONE'S DEAL WAS SIMILAR TO MINE EXCEPT I WAS THE BUYER.

HERE IS MY DEAL;
I SPOTTED A DOOR CAR I REALLY LIKED IN RJ IN NOVEMBER. IT WAS IN MISSOURI, 1000 MILES FROM ME. I CALLED THE GUY AND HE WAS DESPERATE TO SELL IT, TURN KEY WITH THE TRAILER. WE TALKED THROUGH DECEMBER, AND IN JANUARY THE PRICE DROPPED BUT NO ONE HAD APPROACHED HIM SO FAR WITH A CASH OFFER. AT THE END OF JANUARY I OFFERED HIM CASH $5,000 LESS THAN HE WAS ORIGINALLY ASKING FOR THE CAR AND TRAILER. HE TOOK IT! I SENT HIM $500 HOLD MONEY AND WAITED FOR THE WEATHER TO GET BETTER. A COUPLE WEEKS LATER I TOOK MY TRUCK AND WENT ANY GO IT. I WAS JUST AS THE PICTURES HE SENT AND THE INFORMATION HE GAVE ME. I DID GET HIS GUARANTEE, IF THE CAR WAS NOT AS HE SAID I WOULD GET MY $500 BACK. SO I DID TAKE THAT CHANCE OF NOT GOING TO LOOK AT IT BEFORE.

THE $5,000 I SAVED BOUGHT ME MOST OF THE PIECES FOR A NEW 421 SB, AND I SOLD OFF MOST OF THE MOTOR HE HAD IN THE CAR.

WINTER TIME FOR ME THEN, AND ESPECIALLY NOW IT FREE TIME BECAUSE I AM RETIRED. SO HAVING THE PATIENTS SAVED ME A LOT OF MONEY.

IF I DID NOT GET THE CAR, ANOTHER ONE WOULD HAVE SHOWN UP.

JACK

DON'T WORRY BE HAPPY.

jtortorete 03-06-2014 12:50 PM

BJUICE COMMENT

BJUICE,

SORRY I MISSED YOUR COMMENT ON THE $70 GRAND, AND SELLING YOUR NOVA.

YOU ARE THE MAN! WHAT DID YOU SELL FOR $70K? WHEN IS THE NOVA DOING UP?

JACK

"DONT WORRY BE HAPPY! "

mytmouz 03-06-2014 09:52 PM

No roweling here. I just pointed out the fact that it is not always the seller at issue.

If it takes three months to make a sale to someone overseas, even if you get your asking price, that is three months of interest you lose.

Dealing with someone for 3 months then knocking off 5 grand, yeah I am not that patient lol...

And a refundable 'deposit' is not really a deposit...

Of course, the good thing about my personal point of view is I still have it... :D

Harbone 03-07-2014 07:26 AM

Of course, the good thing about my personal point of view is I still have it... :D

yes!!!!!!!! :D

shybx1969 03-13-2014 05:26 AM

Im just gonna add a few things to this conversation.First of all generally most people i KNOW i trust..But let me tell you why i hava bad taste in my mouth about TRUST...I bought a ranger 4whldr a few yrs back.Price was reasonable guy seemed nice, he looked at me and said (this is no lie) , Im a good christian everything i told you is the truth....ok 3 days later 4 wheel drive wouldnt go in, one of the switch on the fly setups, ok i calmly called the guy just too see if he had, had any probs and if he did what did he do too fix it...He told me too #$%^%^ up my u know what and dont call me again. :D As it turned out it was doctored up, and truck was old enough that i really didnt wasnt (worth spending $$$ on).So i drove a couple yrs in 2 whldrive. Yes i spent only 2500 bux but still i wanted 4whldr. Ok about 10 yrs ago i bought a 83 buick riv convert, paid 5k for body was nice, ran pretty good or so i thought, car turned out to be a nitemare, electrical probs and all.Finally 2 yrs later sold for 1/2 of what i paid for it..and yes i told the guy what was wrong and what it needed. So you gents tell me who u would trust when buying from a stranger. :roll:

shybx1969 03-13-2014 05:43 AM

But i must add most racers ive dealt with have been a pretty honest group, must be in our upbringing... 8) What u see i what u get, yes im sure thier are a few crooks out thier. But the sceamers/scimmers/liars/go to carlisle buy a junk for 1500, doctor up, sell to a unsuspecting buyer for 4-5k, run with his loot to the bank guys are generally in the old car orig to good to be true hobby.Ide rather buy or trade for a shell . Now my chevelle i traded my harley tool box for...Yes itsa 4 door but body was clean, 307 ran like crap, but the guy didnt try to hide that fact either.And i respect that.Its notta 2 dr but i putta nice small block in it and im happy, and he even did a full disc brake conversion on car, so he lost money but he wanted tool box to go with his harley..so not all people r bad.... :D

longm1958 04-23-2014 07:17 AM

RJ is becoming a joke with guys asking rediculous amounts for their cars, parts etc. If you think your car is worth so much, then taking the time to send enough info, (pics included) to justify said asking price shouldn't be an issue. Selling on any site attracts every yahoo looking for a bargain, look at Craigslist. Lots of buyers here are just looking for a car to flip at your (seller) expense.

If you cannot stand to deal with clowns, then don't try to sell to clowns. Its the nature of the beast. Get over it and move on.