Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   reaming ridges (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25356)

GMCboywonder 08-17-2009 07:51 AM

reaming ridges

any one know the best way to get rid of ridges other than a ridge reamer or cylinder hone? i tried the ridge reamer and some how broke it the center of the body pulled through(not sure if it was a bad reamer or what 80 bucks at napa seems like it should be a decent piece of equipment) and the cylinder hone isn't doin an even job, any advice on this subject would be greatly appriciated.
thanks

OneBadGMC 08-17-2009 07:54 AM

Sanding drum on an air grinder.

GMCboywonder 08-19-2009 05:21 AM

i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?

OneBadGMC 08-19-2009 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by GMCboywonder
i will have to give that a shot do you think a dremel would do any good?

/giggle

I guess if you had enough bits and 8 hours of time it would...assuming you could steady the bit well enough to not gouge the cylinder wall or deck surface.

Get a tapered ring compressor and don't worry about chamfering the top. Just don't cut the hell out of yourself when you clean the cylinders.

OneBadGMC 08-19-2009 07:57 AM

Oh hell, I just re-read the post. You're not wanting to chamfer the top. You're after removing the ridge where the rings stopped at the top of the cylinder.

Take it to a machine shop and have it done right. I doubt it would cost what you just spent in that broken tool.

GMCboywonder 08-19-2009 11:20 AM

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day

OneBadGMC 08-19-2009 11:28 AM

well that sucks haha but luckily they refuneded the tool so i got the money to do that now, i really appriciaye the help this is my first four stroke rebuild so i'm learnin somethin new every day

If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.

GMCboywonder 08-20-2009 02:21 AM

its probably about 0.025" to 0.03" thick do you think i culd get the pistons out with that still there?

TS1955 08-20-2009 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by OneBadGMC

If the ridge is THAT pronounced, you'd probably be well advised on a bore/hone and new piston.

X2...

TS1955

THERATTLER 08-20-2009 04:36 AM

Throw the block in the back of your truck and go to your local machine shop and ask them to mike it for you to see if it needs boring , most shops do not charge for this service because if it does need boring they know they will get the job..if it doesnt need boring , let them cut the ridges and hone the block for you , you will be alot happier and know it's right before you spend alot of money on it,,,,,Paul