Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   8" or 9" converter??? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20534)

olds48 04-14-2008 05:07 PM

8" or 9" converter???

If it stalls the same which is better or worse?Why have 2 different sizes for the same intended stall speed?I don't know much about converters,so any help would be great.I'm shooting for a 5000 stall and am wondering which would be best for me.Thanks.

cepx111 04-14-2008 09:34 PM

Ancient Chinese secret....lol

sg1586 04-15-2008 03:11 AM

Call ATI.........They will need to know hp, tire size,gear etc..IMO thats you best bet. and go ahead and ask questions, there good people and have good answers........ :mrgreen:

olds48 04-15-2008 04:05 AM

Originally Posted by cepx111
Ancient Chinese secret....lol

Whhaaaa..grasshoppah.. :D

jmarksdragster 04-15-2008 12:03 PM

It will depend on the torque of the engine as to which will work for you, a small block will probably want an 8", a big block a 9". Be wary of ATI, while I am sure they make good stuff their phone techs are seriously lacking. I called a few weeks back to order one, after giving him my info (447 SB2 PTq@6400, PHP @7500) and suggested to him I needed 6600 to 6800 stall, he said the one he had picked would be 6000. I asked why would I want the stall so far below my peak torque, he had no answer and said he would have Charlie get back to me. I called back twice and still have received no calls....

olds48 04-16-2008 11:21 AM

I've been told that a larger converter will have more slippage at top-end and hit softer at the line???It that whay ya'll think?My info has come from TCI.I've been told ways,really.NONE of it makes much sense to me.Just like to hear what ya'll have run across in the past.Thanks

olds48 04-16-2008 01:20 PM

TCI sucks.Or,at least their tech's are....lacking.I have a 10" conv.stalls at 3800.I would like to have 4500.It has a cast stator,supposedly anything over 500 hp needs a steel stator.So,I asked,"can I get a steel stator put in mine and the stall adjusted to 4500 ???"Here are the 7 different answers answers I got:

"Yes,it will cost $250"
"Yes,it will cost $450"
"Yes,it will cost $700 or more"
"We can only go thru it,reuse your stator and keep the same stall,will cost $350"
"we can put a steel stator in for $150 but we only can take stall to 4000"
"we can take the stall to 4500,but cannot put a steel stator in that converter"
and finally
"No,we cannot put a steel stator in that converter or change the stall from original"

WHAT THE @&$%#.Does anyone who answers a phone for any major company have a clue these days!!!???I got SEVEN completely different answer and now I don't know which way to go.Can't afford a new 9" right now so figured I'd have mine gone thru instead,but if the guys that actually perform the work are anyhing like the numb-nuts that answer the phones,I don't believe I'd let them do as much as check my tire pressure.Noone ever asked we anything about my car at all.Horsepower,tire size,vehicle weight,not even if it was a street or drag car :twisted: Back to square one,unless anyone knows how to service converters at home :)

tweekd 04-17-2008 05:17 PM

Olds48,

Call TSI, They will ask you the right questions and figure out if your converter will do what you want it to do. The steel stator is used because the harder metal can be used for a more agressive fin angle to get a tighter stall. It is also obviously stronger so it can take the abuse of transbrake'd 800HP+ launches. There are converters that use the alluminum stator that handle well over 1000 HP.

olds48 04-18-2008 09:55 PM

Found a guy hiding in town.He cut it open,cleaned it and replaced the bearings for $85,and I didn't have to pay shipping AND got it back the same day. :D Said I can bring it back and adjust the stall for $100 plus $10 apiece for any bearings that might need to be replaced.Going racing tomorrow...well,later today.Just got done slapping the tranny back in at 1:30 this morning.We'll see if it holds up :D

olds48 04-19-2008 05:03 PM

Just got back from New London.New tranny works great,just need more stall.3800 ain't cutting it