Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   vacuum pump ? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19973)

wfge 02-26-2008 12:07 PM

vacuum pump ?

made 4 passes sunday after converting to alcohol, picked up .13, maybe more with some fine tuning. couple things I noticed, first pass I had trouble breathing, burnouts were excessive due to more power at hit of throttle, snap\crackles\and pops,if you have any where oil can get out it will(dist. shaft\collar) due to increased crankcase pressure.
think I need a vacuum pump, what are your thoughts?

bjuice 02-26-2008 12:44 PM

yes no doubt !

you need a vaccum pump in my opinion..alcohol or gas....remember this is racing and a vaccum pump equals power. better ring seal etc...
vaccum pumps consistantly show significant gains on the dyno.

Brian

qtrmile2 02-26-2008 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by bjuice
yes no doubt !

you need a vaccum pump in my opinion..alcohol or gas....remember this is racing and a vaccum pump equals power. better ring seal etc...
vaccum pumps consistantly show significant gains on the dyno.

Brian

I definately agree with Brian.

zipper06 02-26-2008 02:22 PM

I don't run a vacuum pump but do run an evac system. Also maybe i'm a wus, but due to inside the rame headers, i had to put turn outs on my headers, like you said excessive fumes inside the car.

JMO

Zip.

hammertime 02-26-2008 02:59 PM

What Brian said is dead on !!

I switch to vacuum pump last season and wont run without it again. You'll be amazed the stuff that comes out of the motor sometimes :shock: Both my motors seen a 20hp gain on the dyno.

Here is my rating on vacuum pump's
1. Star best by far but pricey
2. Moroso 3 vane I run wide open 4 vane needs a relief falve
3. Aerospace .. downfall to aerospace the mandrel is 1.5" instead of 1" like the rest.
4. GZ the best priced and works well, just heavy and ugly.

Racefab57 02-26-2008 04:29 PM

Great post David!!!

hammertime 02-26-2008 10:38 PM

Thanks I can actually go further into this subject of problems I've seen with certain brands of vacuum pumps.

The Star has a year warranty if you buy everything including catch can. These pumps are so good they dont even offer a rebuild kit for them.

The Moroso seems to be a very good all around pump that needs rebuilt every 2-3 years, I've had both 3 vane and 4 vane and both work good, they are best ran without the v-belt though.

The aerospace have a problem pulling enough vacuum, I seen this first hand on a terminator setup on a reher morrsion 565, it blew oil out every pass, they work well with a carb setup though gas or alky. These usally need rebuilt yearly.

The GZ is the one I've not seen used much, I almost pulled the trigger on one untill I seen one at a Drag Expo I was at, very heavy and a big unit, but for average racer just wanting to upgrade to a cheaper setup that works I think the GZ kit is a good idea over the breathers.

I've never seen anyone loose et going to a vacuum pump, some dont pick up but even seen one pick up a full tenth.

curtisreed 02-27-2008 04:17 AM

David,

If you don't mind could you elaborate on why the Moroso should not be run with the v-belt. We have on now that is using a v-belt and just wondered if there is something we should watch out for. Thanks.

Curtis

I started to say ours doesn't pull any vacuum without the belt but I figured that was to easy. :D :D

hammertime 02-27-2008 12:07 PM

Curtis,
The make a cog belt for the vacuum pump as well, no slipping like on a v-belt. Where I get my info on this is off a digital dash with vacuum controls, they start slipping up high and dont pull as well as the other setup.

David

curtisreed 02-27-2008 12:53 PM

Thanks for the reply David, our data recorder isn't showing any drop off in vacuum on ours so I was just wondering. We are only pulling about 10" though. The cogged belt it the best way to go but we bought our first pump used and it came with the v-belt. When that pump went south we just replaced it and kept everything else the same.

Curtis