Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   ot sure whats up.. (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23960)

stang440 04-21-2009 06:46 PM

ot sure whats up..

my uncles motor froze up this past winter, indy block with screw in freeze plugs, he sent it back to the shop he has delt with for many, many years never had a problem and they always helped him out, well they sent the block back to indy to have it welded up, when they got it back they call and told him he needed new pistons,{ this is a 572 ci that was built less than 2 yrs ago with only about 15 passes } they said that when the block was welded the cylinders shifted or something like that.. i,m not sure what all they do when they weld it up, but seems to me that some where like indy would have ways to keep this from happing.. just want to know what yall think...

zipper06 04-21-2009 07:47 PM

NOT, can't predict what will happen when the block is welded.

JMO

Zip.

gearhead1011 04-22-2009 07:58 AM

The cylinders will distort from the block freezing, that probably distorted things as much or more than the welding.. Think about it, if the freeze pushes hard enough to crack the block imagine what it does to the cylinders, as far as that goes to all the block dimensions.

stang440 04-22-2009 08:59 AM

just found out that they had to remove the sleeves before welding. when they put them back in they were to far out to be rehoned. they have to rebore it, it was already at the max bore of 4.5 with the heads that are on the motor. but they said there was a little more room. guess that the reason it was sent back to them ,to make sure it was right.....

gearhead1011 04-22-2009 11:04 AM

If the sleeves had to come out anyway I would've thought they would just go with new sleeves and bore & hone to fit the pistons he has.

stang440 04-22-2009 06:28 PM

hey gearhead.. i think he is checking into that , im pertty sure they have already put the sleeves back in though.. either way still looking at about another grand over what it was supposed to be.... oh well,

outlaw256 04-22-2009 11:22 PM

with the high cost of engines, why did he let it freeze?

cepx111 04-23-2009 01:08 AM

Really, antifreeze is cheap, new blocks and machining are not.
I drain and refill mine before it even thinks about freezing.

stang440 04-23-2009 05:16 AM

hey outlaw..
he had back surgey last fall and was down with that and left it inside the trailer and just didnot think anything about it.. beleve me he has caught crap about it here at work.. everybody stays on him about......

gearhead1011 04-23-2009 06:06 AM

I usually drain the radiator and block before it gets cold enough for that to happen. On my old car I couldn't get to one of the block plugs without pulling a header. I drained the side I could get to and got busy with other stuff and forgot about it. Sure enough it froze what little water was in that one side and cracked the block. This was a stock block and after I tore it down I found a problem with the main journals that rendered the block junk anyways so there was no loss for me on that one. With the way the weather has been this year I have had to drain my car after test-n-tune. 70s one day and freezing the next.