Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   if you had no carb and had a choice between (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21122)

mojomal 06-16-2008 07:53 PM

if you had no carb and had a choice between

1050 holley 850 demon and 850 proform gas carb to be run a 440 blueprinted but 10:50 flat tappet 600 lift 308 duration. which would you chose please base answer on your own experience using these carbs in a similar applications.

TopspeedLowet 12-31-2008 11:25 AM

Carb choice

The 1050 holley is the best choice or the three you sited. The boosters have a far better signal curve than any thing that Barry grant offers period. This curve is necessary for the enrichment required at high speed and enough signal to meter at low air demands. The larger the booster the more it hurts air flow, but the stronger the signal. The signal strength derived by annular boosters is an obstruction to high speed air flow at the top. The older boosters like on the 850 holley and the old 1050 holley used are called bar boosters, at worst have a better signal curve than the best annular booster available today. If you want the best first choice try to find a holley with bar boosters. They don't have skirts like it sounds. If you would like an expert on this subject you should google Norm, He designed all of Dave Brasswells carbs back in the 80's with these boosters that I have refered to. He is the best and HONEST two qualitys that seldom cross paths. His site can be found by typing Competition Fuel Systems Tuscon arizona. Good luck hunting and happy new year.javascript:emoticon(':D')

fla1976 12-31-2008 12:01 PM

Carb

Here is the website:

http://compfuelsystems.com/index.html

pintoracer 12-31-2008 01:00 PM

just my 2 cents from experience the demons are junk never will i own another

TopspeedLowet 12-31-2008 02:00 PM

Re: Carb choice

Originally Posted by TopspeedLowet
The 1050 holley is the best choice or the three you sited. The boosters have a far better signal curve than any thing that Barry grant offers period. This curve is necessary for the enrichment required at high speed and enough signal to meter at low air demands. The larger the booster the more it hurts air flow, but the stronger the signal. The signal strength derived by annular boosters is an obstruction to high speed air flow at the top. The older boosters like on the 850 holley and the old 1050 holley used are called bar boosters, at worst have a better signal curve than the best annular booster available today. If you want the best first choice try to find a holley with bar boosters. They don't have skirts like it sounds. If you would like an expert on this subject you should google Norm, He designed all of Dave Brasswells carbs back in the 80's with these boosters that I have refered to. He is the best and HONEST two qualitys that seldom cross paths. His site can be found by typing Competition Fuel Systems Tuscon arizona. Good luck hunting and happy new year.javascript:emoticon(':D')

The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

mopar1968 01-01-2009 07:34 AM

I run both big blocks and small blocks, i would run the proform 850, have had better luck with a 850, you can always jet to engine, just don't overkill, Mopars doesn't like alot of fuel if you don't have the engine to run it!!!

'' JUST MY TWO CENTS WORTH''

jmarksdragster 01-01-2009 09:35 AM

I always look for the biggest carb within reason, my choice for a 440 would be the Dominator. However, there are a lot of versions out there, some Dominators require a little extra work. With a few simple metering changes an HP 8082 2-circuit would be my choice.

undertaker598 01-09-2009 07:30 PM

Please do yourself a favor and call Pro Systems Carburators (727)490-6717. Ask for Patrick, tell him The Undertaker sent you. You will not be sorry...