Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Scooter + Mopar = LOST (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33422)

Scooterz 04-30-2013 02:35 PM

Scooter + Mopar = LOST

gents: everything I have learned about motors is SBC/BBC. I have a 1979 360 mopar in my CJ7 I got a few weeks ago. It has a mild comp energy cam, headers & 4bbl w/ intake... otherwise stock. I hear one lifter tap upon start up & it continues until warm... then goes away. I hate hearing it the on warm-up!! I removed valve cover to adjust. NO DICE. I realized these are not like adjusting a Chevy. What is the best way? I don't want to do anything that might wipe a cam lobe or something... I think cam is 260ish/480ish. Talk to me... impart your wisdom my brethren.

outlaw256 05-01-2013 05:51 AM

either turn up the radio or build you a engine!!

roadkill2 05-01-2013 06:47 AM

I'm with Outlaw . . Get better speakers!

A ticking lifter on startup in a Mopar is generally OEM. It's when the rods rattle that you've got problems!

Scooterz 05-01-2013 08:00 AM

Ken-

Seriously??? Come on people... every tried to turn on a radio in a CJ w/ headers & flowmasters/mud tires??? That is like my wife trying to talk to me when I am watching Duck Dynasty... can't hear her.

TheYellaBrick 05-01-2013 01:42 PM

Ear muffs, ear plugs, and LOUD Radio. Heck, just uncork it and REALLY enjoy the 'music' !

mopar1968 05-05-2013 07:11 AM

If they are Hydro there is no adjustment.Lifter is bleeding down too far.

roadkill2 05-05-2013 07:48 AM

One of two cures. Either replace the lifters (all of 'em) or warm it up good before driving.

Honestly, back when those engines were OEM on 3/4's of the Mopars sold, probably 25% of them had that problem coming off the assembly line and most of 'em went 100k or better, still tickin' . .

But if you can still hear it (or them) when you're going down the road with all that other noise, Better fix 'em . . quick! That loud ticking is the Grenade about to go off!

Scooterz 05-07-2013 02:54 PM

Thanks RK & Mopar.

It is clearly one lifter on the passenger side. Once I have it somewhat warm, it goes away... only when it is cold (2-3 minutes). I am scared about wiping a cam if I replace a lifter(s)... or am I just being paranoid? Motor is really strong otherwise; nice healthy power, no smoke, lots of grunt.

TheYellaBrick 05-07-2013 09:43 PM

My shop truck is a '72 Doge 1/2 ton with a 360/727 combo with a Holley 4412. Over 100k and all I've done is a valve grind in the 20+ years I've owned it. Tows my race cars and anything else and still has lots of grunt left. ONCE in a while I'll get a lifter that won't pump up right off the bat, but it will if I shut it down, refire it and then let it warm up a tad. I don't even put it in gear until the tic tap goes away.

outlaw256 05-08-2013 05:15 AM

calm down scooter. if its one lifter and it quits tickin when it gets warmed up dont worryabout it. i know that easier said than done but once she builds up its fine.its when it wont quit tickin that you should worry.i got a small block been tickin for yrs. also had a 225 that had a main knockin. that thing knocked for 6 yrs and i drove that truck everywhere and hard.one of the things i dont like about fordge pistons is the rattle they make when you first crank them up...