Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   gas and alcohol (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19015)

superstreeter 11-24-2007 06:17 PM

gas and alcohol

Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?

jmarksdragster 11-25-2007 09:19 AM

I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....

nofear57 11-27-2007 07:03 PM

Dude..............take note whats on my engine! I guess you've seen it in action before,pure alcohol is the way to. Once you've tryed it you won't go back! Close your eyes and just think,tunnel ram and enderle :D Thats about 9% extra HP all the time 8)

hammertime 11-27-2007 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by jmarksdragster
I'd have to go look, but one of the carb companies in the National Dragster is advertising a 75/25 Gas/Alcohol carb. It's a matter of getting the metering correct. 10% is probably within the jet capabilities of most Holly carbs. Also less issue with the corrosive properties of methanol and no need for top oil additive. I have considered this myself, but haven't tried it yet. Too many other irons in the fire....

I was reading about this carb on another site. One guy had one first weekend it was back off, if I remember right he tried it a few more times and never could get it right.

I'd go one way or another, alky is my choice

taps 11-28-2007 08:35 AM

gas and alky

carb guy advertising 75 -25 carbs is chuck nuytten #is 972-722-8333 i would give him a call.

OneBadGMC 11-28-2007 11:06 AM

Yes, I have mixed alky with gas at a 15% level back in the early/mid 90s, before moving to 100% alky.

The engine was a 462 BBC, oval port heads (049 castings), with a Crane Cam (.648/.669 solid flat tappet). 9.5:1 static compression with 8 Lbs of blower boost from a B&M Powercharger 250 (equiv of 4-71).

The carb was produced from a local supplier called C&M (no longer in business to my knowledge). The carb looked pretty much like the precursor to the Holley HP line. It started as a 750 CFM Double pumped, but wound up flowing 1020 CFM after they were done with it. I really regret having sold the carb, it was a nice piece.

We were running 93 octane pump gas through the motor with the 15% mix. The motor ran cooler, and we had zero issues with detonation. I don't recall how much it picked up, but I do recall a lower e.t. with the mix. It could have either been due to the decreased air charge?

Who knows. I know it worked, and thats all I cared about. We tried higher percentages of alky, but the fuel separated too much.

gasalley 01-01-2008 08:32 AM

Re: gas and alcohol

Originally Posted by superstreeter
Iv`e been thinking about this for a while. Anybody mixing gas with small amounts (5-10%) of alcohol ? are there any advantages to this?

you can run 10% ethanol without any problems. we can but this at the pump here in Iowa & many other parts of the USA. we,also, buy an E-85 blend of ethanol(85% ethanol - 15% gasoline) from the pump for use in street engines with a modified carb. or injection systems(some factory vehicles come with a flex fuel option). ethanol is a corn or other plant material type of alcohol.

dak697 01-01-2008 10:34 AM

I'm with Nofear...inject it .

olds48 01-01-2008 03:08 PM

Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?

hammertime 01-01-2008 04:45 PM

Originally Posted by olds48
Is there really a power advantage to swapping to alky,all other things remaining the same?

Yes ! Put alky stuff on change plus and timing and go !!