Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Help (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   How Much To Charge A Sponsor? (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17223)

truk 05-10-2007 07:48 PM

How Much To Charge A Sponsor?

i have one sponsor now he pays for fuel to get to the track, that was his idea. i have two others interested in coming on as sponsor's not real sure what to charge or ask ? how do you guys do it? thanks matt

thetanman101 05-10-2007 08:19 PM

I have one that we arranged a $200 monthly payment. They get about 4" lettering at the top of windshield and back window, plus trailer signage of same size.

mikeaton 05-11-2007 07:12 AM

sponsor

well in our case we have several. one who did all of our lettering on the car,truck and trailer for free in exchange for a small sign on the top b pillar on our car. also we have a couple of parts houses that "donate oil and filters,red rags, wax etc... for a small spot on the side of just the car. then we have a very "large sponsor" who actually pays for stuff ie fire suit[thanks brian] entry fees,fuel for the tow truck,some parts on the race car when needed,motel rooms etc... so as you can see the sponsors involvment can be large or small. it can be in cash or merchandise as well! if its a small company or a individual just ask for the entry fees to be paid for and maybe a little for drinks and lunch stuff but dont sell yourself short! if a big sponsor comes along you would want to put his name as big as you could down both sides! we always advertize on the car"your name could be here ask within" believe it or not it does work! just my 2 cents mike

RonOwensRacing 05-11-2007 01:28 PM

i have two sponsors well last year right now there name is on my trailer they said they was going to stay this year also but not sent the money yet rather large lettering on the trailer sides and back door i charged them a 1000.00 dollars a year but i do a lot of local racing at both of there location and it did work good for them there stores is a 100 miles apart and race tracks in both towns were there located i thought it was a good price for what they get.

sledgehammer 05-12-2007 03:34 AM

It also depends on the sponsor and their budget. For example I would look at a local auto shop differently than someone that has a few chain/franchise stores.

Most important thing...is to work with the potential sponsor. Don't try to hit the homerun unless they have the budget to do so.

topsportsman1 05-12-2007 03:43 AM

^^^^ Who's dat big guy? :P

Hey Eric,nice to see you on the board brother hows things going? I seen you had a new position a week ago? Hope things work out for you man

Eric great info on this subject,nice honest reply,well said

Tom

sledgehammer 05-12-2007 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by topsportsman1

Hey Eric,nice to see you on the board brother hows things going? I seen you had a new position a week ago? Hope things work out for you man

Tom

Thanks Tom....the YourWayNetwork thing is a blast and I never expected to be on microphone side of things. I am having fun so far expecially meeting and talking to different racers. I learned a lot from the interviews I did the other week and will apply the new knowledge in the next. I just hope to keep learning and getting better as I go along.

As to the sponsorship deal.....people need to remember that it is a relationship that the sponsor is asking to be a part of the raceteam as much as the racer a part of the sponsors team. That is the most important thing to think about in the whole sponsorship process.

2nd most important question to ask as a racer...what does the sponsor gain by partnering with your team? Another question along that same line....what does the sponsor gain by picking you over other teams out there? If you have answers to both of those questions then you are way ahead of other teams that are in the sponsorship hunt.

topsportsman1 05-12-2007 04:28 AM

Originally Posted by sledgehammer

Originally Posted by topsportsman1

Tom

Thanks Tom....we will see how the YourWayNetwork thing goes. I am having fun so far. I learned a lot from those interviews and will apply the new knowledge in the next. I just hope to keep learning and getting better as I go along.

As to the sponsorship deal.....people need to remember that it is a relationship that the sponsor is asking to be a part of the raceteam as much as the racer a part of the sponsors team. That is the most important thing to think about in the whole sponsorship process.

2nd most important question to ask as a racer...what does the sponsor gain by partnering with your team? Another question along that same line....what does the sponsor gain by picking you over other teams out there? If you have answers to both of those questions then you are way ahead of other teams that are in the sponsorship hunt.

Awesome Eric,I hope the deal works out for you as you are a very gifted person,infact I know it will work,your a great guy and easy to talk to,when I met you last year,and talked to you it was like I had know you forever,your a great person Eric.

Now on the YourWayNetwork,that deal is in the works here at RJ

I am trying to get Jimmy Biggs aboard here and share some of his networking,capabilitys to share here with all the fine people of the Racing Junk board.

If you all don't know,Jimmy Biggs of YourWayNetwork has been providing,"Live" internet racing events,yes folks now you can watch live racing on your computer.
Thanks Jimmy,Ray,Dick and Mark and crew for your tons of hours of hard work for us sportsman racers,YWN ROCKS no doubt about it.

Eric was being an interviewer for YWN,he did a fine job at that for those of you that didn't see it.

On this sponsership deal thats some good info there Eric has supplyed,take it from a guy thats been there and done that.

Thanks Eric for another fine post.

sledgehammer 05-12-2007 04:46 AM

Thanks Tom.....coming from you...that's means a lot. I am going to do all I can do to make the YourWay deal work. It is perfect timing for me since I am doing a bunch of updates to the car and will have a limited racing schedule this year. :cry:

Hey Truk....back to your question.

I have some questions for you...where are you racing don't need to be exact....but local, regional or national? Do you have a crew?

Is the potential sponsor small, medium or large business?

The reason why I asked where you are racing is that also stipulates some of your expenses and your racing budget. (Hotels, Meals, Travel, etc)

jimmybiggs 05-12-2007 05:06 AM

I've been working with Bill Glidden on sponsors. We are thinking out of the box and going after non automotive businesses. After spending time with some of my sponsors I saw that they are bombarded daily with racers wanting $$$. Thats also why I started YWN 2+ years ago to get Doorcar Racing coverage.
If you want to see a model of success take a look at www.RamRacing.us and see what a good website and video coverage of their events has done for them in 3 years. LOOK at who is on board with them! Its not rocket science sponsors want to see their investment working.