Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   My experience with Ed Wilson (Edvanced Engines) (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20405)

gimmemud 03-31-2008 05:47 AM

My experience with Ed Wilson (Edvanced Engines)

I just wanted to let everyone know about my experience with Ed Wilson (Edvanced Engines)

I have been dealing with Ed for several months now, mostly on pistons and general advise and finaly decided to let him upgrade my engine.
Ed has vast connections in the performance parts industry, he calls these big name companys and he doesnt even have to tell him who is calling, they know by his voice.He had a sheetmetal intake built in 2 weeks, a custom set of BRC nos pistons built in 1 week, GRP aluminum rods in 2 days, got a set of Stealth titanium valves in 1 week, PAC springs in 1 week, a 7/4 and 2/3 swap LSM cam in 2 weeks, and a set of heads worked by Curtis @ RFD in a couple of weeks. All of this was done on a tight, almost unattainable time line, but he came through. I got the opportunity to spend almost 18 hrs watching and helping him assemble this engine, and man oh man does he know what it takes to build an awesome engine. We finaly got enough of the engine together to measure push rod length at 3:00 pm Thursday, he called Smith Brothers and had a set of 3/8 .140 wall push rods built and shipped same day, overnight to me and they were waiting for me when I got home Friday morning.
Due to time constraints we were unable to get this monster on the dyno as planned, but by the way it sounds and revs to 10 grand with just a rip of the throttle, I know I wont be dissapointed. I know this sounds crazy, but this thing sounds different than any engine I have ever heard run.

Thanks again Mr. Ed for a experiance I will never forget, And thanks to Beck Mechanical (sheetmetal intake), GRP rods, BRC Pistons, LSM cams, PAC springs, Smith Brothers push rods, Stealth titanium valves, and Curtis @ RFD for making this happen so quickly. I will post some pics and maybe even a video as soon as I can.

Thanks Ed, you are truly a gem in this industry

bjuice 03-31-2008 05:54 AM

Good to hear there has been some personal interaction going on in real life,rather then keyboard cowboy stuff all the time......

i wish many more of us could could get together in real life..but i understand since we are scattered all over the USA...

Good Job Ed !

gimmemud 03-31-2008 06:16 AM

I forgot to give the engine details

Dart Iron Eagle block
Lunati Crank 4" stroke
GRP Alum rods 5.800
BRC custom nos pistons 4.165 bore
Brodix 15 degree heads with great flow by RFD
LSM 7/4 2/3 swap cam almost 1" lift with 1.85 T&D shaft rockers
PAC springs
TI 17 retainers
Manton lash caps
Stealth Titanium valves ( I dont remember the size)
Beck sheetmetal intake
1150 dominator
Fogger with annular nozzles
Gene Fulton cross plate

This engine is designed to turn over 10,000 rpm. and should be well over 1600 hp when on the dope

slowmotion 03-31-2008 01:52 PM

Always good to hear about good experiences on here.

billhendren 04-02-2008 05:13 AM

Sounds like a good engine but 10000 rpm with a 4.0 stroke is 6666 fpm on the pistons,sounds kinda high to be real reliable.Bill

gimmemud 04-02-2008 08:16 AM

Bill this is not a bracket racing or endurance engine, a pass for me is 2.5 seconds or less and only about 40 passes a season, all of this was considered in design and build. I hope it doesnt ever turn 10k but if it does it shouldnt hurt anything, max hp should be between 8000-8600. I plan to shift @ 8200

My combo from last year had same crank with Lunati Pro Mod steel rods and I turned it up to 9200 several times without hurting anything.