Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Electrical (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   AutoMeter Tach/Issue (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25937)

Scooterz 10-05-2009 03:45 PM

AutoMeter Tach/Issue

I have a 5" AutoMeter tach (Sport Comp) all wired to a MSD6AL correctly. I turn on the key, it RPM needle goes backwards & stays there. I have re-wired it, checked everything, etc... anyone ever have this???

cepx111 10-05-2009 11:50 PM

Sounds like the tach is fried.

Send it to autometer, they'll fix it, usually free.

Cp

jeffw59 11-01-2009 04:51 PM

be careful--mine shorted out & fried my wire harness,autometer has a program to refurbish your guage if you send it to them. alot of folks don't know it.

Tod74 11-01-2009 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by cepx111
Sounds like the tach is fried.

Send it to autometer, they'll fix it, usually free.

Cp

:o I DIDN'T KNOW THAT!!!!!!!!!!!!! :x :x I usually throw stuff like that away and get a new one....

Scooterz 11-06-2009 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by jeffw59
be careful--mine shorted out & fried my wire harness,autometer has a program to refurbish your guage if you send it to them. alot of folks don't know it.

Good to know Jeff. Thanks!! I am going to do that. Scooter

elkymann 12-11-2009 04:55 PM

Some things many guys don't know about these newer tachs is,
1. when they install them in there street car with stock wiring and a radio.
2. use an MSD ignition box.
3. Use a crank trigger

This info may pertain to some, most, or all of the MSD ignition boxes out there.
Some MSD boxes if not all of them provide a square wave 12 volt, 20% duty cycle signal for a tachometer. If the tach does not operate properly and reads erratic, a tach adapter may be required.

If you are using the White wire to trigger(points input)you will need adapter PN 8910 If you are using the magnetic pickup, PN8920 will be the right adapter.

Most tachs have a green wire that connects either directly to the ign. box, or connects to a specific colored wire coming from the ign box depending on which box you have.

Some times when you shut off your engine also, the needle does NOT go down to zero, and this is normal.

Another tidbit of info is, if you are running a crank trigger, you may need a shielded wire harness with a built in ground strap to block radio interference from other wires.

One thing a bad a$$ wiring guy nicknamed "Sparky" told me was this, NEVER used your stock frame as a ground!, and always run a seperate 10 gauge or larger wire to where you want to put all your grounds at, same with a power wire, use one power source and pull power from there and don't rely on that old stock frame to carry the current as it moves literally!!! :shock: Once I changed this on my chassis with a stock frame, everything changed and worked to the T! Hope this info helps a little

Elkymann
John

TheYellaBrick 12-12-2009 07:51 AM

GREAT info !! Especially on the direct grounding source for ALL your components. VERY worth the time and effort to convert to.