Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Transmission (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   th350 trans w/type f fluid (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23352)

kicker91laser 03-06-2009 05:03 PM

th350 trans w/type f fluid

I bought a th350/10" stall with a mild performance rebuild w/1k on it. The previous owner said he ran type f fluid in it and said he was told that it can withstand the heat better. I have since talked to a few friends who are more involded with domestics than I am and said they have never heard of running type f. Should I continue to use type f in the trans when I install it, or should I drain the trans and converter and swap over to something else? Any suggestions are welcome, thanks guys.

jmarksdragster 03-06-2009 08:11 PM

Synthetics are the best, they don't break down as fast or foam. For a mild street car I wouldn't worry too much, just make sure you have a good cooler on it.

Tod74 03-06-2009 08:24 PM

I used to put type F in em all the time when I was a teenager ..makes em shift harder( at least I THOUGHT it did :lol: cause someone told ME that) never hurt mine but they were just street trans stuff

proclassmonte 03-06-2009 08:27 PM

just run dexron fluid, that trans was designed to run on dexron it will give you the best service. I am a transmission rebuilder by trade. synthetics are sometimes a little too slippery.

lanham 03-07-2009 03:51 PM

I like to run tractor and transmission hydraulic fluid.

lookingaround 03-07-2009 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by lanham
I like to run tractor and transmission hydraulic fluid.

ive heard that on quite a few different boards. must be something to it.

kicker91laser 03-08-2009 07:32 PM

Thanks guys, is there a certain brand of dextron that is best to use? Sorry if these are useless questions, I have always been a manual trans guy in the past :?

dimitar 03-13-2009 03:12 PM

Use Type F.

Type F has a higher viscosity -> better lubrication.
Type F has higher coefficent of friction -> clutches less likely to slip. (also quicker firmer shifts, not that noticeable).

Type F is much better for high performance than Dexron.

If you can afford it, use synthetic.

cepx111 03-13-2009 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by dimitar
Use Type F.

Type F has a higher viscosity -> better lubrication.
Type F has higher coefficent of friction -> clutches less likely to slip. (also quicker firmer shifts, not that noticeable).

Type F is much better for high performance than Dexron.

If you can afford it, use synthetic.

\\

I've heard that too, I've also heard that B/M quickshift is nothing more than type F. Having said that...lol I put mercon in my powerglide, no problems yet. (2 years running)
I think either type F or dexron/mercon or even tractor hydralic fluids will be fine as long as you buy a name brand, dont get walmart or autozone equate stuff here, pay a few bucks more for the name brands.
Cp

chevyart 03-14-2009 06:23 AM

tranny fluid

i agree with dimitar. use type F. i called all the big tranny companies wthat what i use in my drag car and street car with s 350 turbo in it chevy arthen i rebuilt my tranny (hughes, tci ati and they all recommended type F