Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Coated headers and Engine Break in. (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28534)

Tod74 07-28-2010 11:00 PM

Coated headers and Engine Break in.

Rudy posted a link to some headers in another thread.

The link talks about not using the coated headers for break in because it will damage the coating.I have heard this for years but never knew why. Why would the coating be damaged buring break in but not after break in? I don't get it..Is it just a preventative thing in case your tune up is a mile off the first time you start it?Such as retarded timing etc ? Can someone please explain to me what exactly happens?

JEFF69Z28 07-29-2010 01:50 AM

call dan lemons

traysvega 07-29-2010 03:58 AM

Friend didnt get his timing right(first running of engine) on the new crank trigger setup quick enough and his new coated headers baked to a point where the coating peeled in some places and turned flat silver/grey in others.

oldandtired 07-29-2010 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by traysvega
Friend didnt get his timing right(first running of engine) on the new crank trigger setup quick enough and his new coated headers baked to a point where the coating peeled in some places and turned flat silver/grey in others.

x2 happened to me. It does not take very long to ruin the finish. In the midst of a new engine start, you are very busy...setting timing, fuel mixture, looking for leaks, etc.

ajk 07-29-2010 12:56 PM

Jett Hot coating is awesome!!! But not cheap.Never had a problem even during engine break in.

Tod74 07-29-2010 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by oldandtired

x2 happened to me. It does not take very long to ruin the finish. In the midst of a new engine start, you are very busy...setting timing, fuel mixture, looking for leaks, etc.

This is what I suspected. The coating is ruined due to not having the tune up set at start up.

hammertime 07-29-2010 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by Tod74

Originally Posted by oldandtired

This is what I suspected. The coating is ruined due to not having the tune up set at start up.

correct or bad coating. I've seen poorly coated headers turn no matter what, I've also seen Chrome headers go real fast.