Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Carburetion, Induction, Nitrous (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Throttle Stops (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18487)

sslarue 09-27-2007 04:36 PM

Throttle Stops

Been reading the forum for a while, but never posted before.
Have a question regarding throttle stops. Never run with a stop before, and I am considering using one. I am not sure what style to get, a “baseplate-style” or “linkage-style.” What type of throttle stop does everyone prefer and why, or what are the pros and cons of each.
Intake and carb that I use are a Edelbrock Victor JR 454-R and a Dominator 1050.
Thanks in advance.

SST4530 09-27-2007 05:27 PM

I run a Dedenbear base plate style. I've seen people be successful with both types, so I'm not sure there's any clear advantage for one or the other. Unless your running a dragster or have no hood clearnce issues the base plate would be a good choice and requires no C 02. If these are a consideration I would lean toward the linkage style. Otherwise purely a matter of personal preference I think. Just my $.02 worth

zipper06 09-27-2007 10:08 PM

A true story,
My friend has a Camero that will run 6.60's , but there is a new class of racers. One is the 6.o index and the other is the 7.0 racers. No electronics allowed. So we devised a new system of carb restrictor plate much like Nascar. I made about 20 different dia. plate restrictors for him. we look at the weather and make a trial pass and decide what plate to run keeping records. He has now won 2 of 4 events and can run within .002 of his dial in every pass, the only way he loses is if he screws up on the tree. The last time out his worse run was 7.02 and he lost with a 7.012 but with a .509 light, with the competors .507 light and a .701 =.ooo4 loss.

Zip.

Racefab57 09-28-2007 08:00 PM

Zip that is a great idea!!! leave it to you,David.

SST4530 10-08-2007 09:13 PM

That is a good idea! 8)

edvancedengines 10-13-2007 07:42 AM

Zip,
I can see that. I can't see throttle stops. I hate them. I wish that Biondo and Dedenbear had gone into a different business. Between the two of them alonside with NHRA they completely ruined Bracket Racing and turned it into one of the most boring displays of game playing while using cars there is. It is not about which car or driver is the best or fastest. It s about who can slow down their car the best to play the slow-down game the best.

At least with the way you are doing it the car can still run at full throttle. You can de-tune a car with retards and jetting. You can de-tune a car with diferent valve adjustments. You can adjsust your driving style or launch style. There are tons of ways to make a car to go slower without the throttle stops. if that is your bag. It is not mine. I build horsepower.

For the drivers wanting to be more consistent, I tell them to learn how do drive with consistency. The car will do what you tell it to do. If you do everything exactly the same each pass, the only differences will be from track temp or condition changes, or weather changes.

Most of my adult life I have heard about how much more consistent an automatic tranny is. One day several years ago, using a Chrysler 4 speed tranny with an H pattern shifter I layed down 3 back to back passes all in the same ET window just seperated by a couple of hundredths. I think that is proof enough that if you want to be consistent then drive the same each time. It also shot the automatic is better and more consistent theory out the window too.

To the poster who asked the question.
Sorry sir for my rant.
I just hate devices that are made to slow cars down and that have ruined the appeal of drag racing.

Ed

Tod74 10-13-2007 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by edvancedengines
Zip,
I can see that. I can't see throttle stops. I hate them. I wish that Biondo and Dedenbear had gone into a different business. Between the two of them alonside with NHRA they completely ruined Bracket Racing and turned it into one of the most boring displays of game playing while using cars there is. It is not about which car or driver is the best or fastest. It s about who can slow down their car the best to play the slow-down game the best.

At least with the way you are doing it the car can still run at full throttle. You can de-tune a car with retards and jetting. You can de-tune a car with diferent valve adjustments. You can adjsust your driving style or launch style. There are tons of ways to make a car to go slower without the throttle stops. if that is your bag. It is not mine. I build horsepower.

For the drivers wanting to be more consistent, I tell them to learn how do drive with consistency. The car will do what you tell it to do. If you do everything exactly the same each pass, the only differences will be from track temp or condition changes, or weather changes.

Most of my adult life I have heard about how much more consistent an automatic tranny is. One day several years ago, using a Chrysler 4 speed tranny with an H pattern shifter I layed down 3 back to back passes all in the same ET window just seperated by a couple of hundredths. I think that is proof enough that if you want to be consistent then drive the same each time. It also shot the automatic is better and more consistent theory out the window too.

To the poster who asked the question.
Sorry sir for my rant.
I just hate devices that are made to slow cars down and that have ruined the appeal of drag racing.

Ed

AMEN!!

lively 10-13-2007 10:38 AM

I AGEE COMEPLETELY ED----BUILD THE CAR TO DRIVE AND LEARN TO DRIVE IT AND YOU HAVE ALOT MORE FUN AND TRUE DRAG RACING!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ---LIVELY-----I ALSO HATE THE DEVICES THE KILL THE ENGINE AT CERTAIN TIMES TO RUN THE SAME!!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Racefab57 10-13-2007 10:41 PM

I HATE BOXES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ! DAVID.

etbird 10-14-2007 04:24 PM

One word for throttle stops. BOOOOOOOORING. Just my opinion.