Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Simple Problems hard to find. (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25517)

TheRabbit 08-30-2009 01:09 PM

Simple Problems hard to find.

I had a problem last night that I wanted to share with you guys.
Last night my truck was running great and consistent as always. After my 4th pass I hit a pretty good dip just as I got off the gas in the shut down area. As I turned around it was running as rough as a tuna boat. (skipping). It shut off and I tried to crank it. It seemed like it wasn't getting any fire, but also felt like it was flooded so I push the pedal to the floor and it slowly started. It was still running really rough and shut off like it was running out of gas. Checked fuel pressure (good) and carb bowles were full but still would not keep running so I towed it to the trailer. I checked all the wires on the MSD box thinking the hard dip I bounced over may have jarred a wire loose or may have cut the coil wire going through the firewall. Nope, couldn't find anything. I finally got it started and loaded it up.
Today I did the simple thing first. Pulled the carb off and checked it out. Nothing wrong. Next I'm thinking that it also seemed like it lost a bunch of timing and would not start so maybe the distributor had come loose. It was tight so I then pulled the cap and there it was. The pickup strap on the rotor was burnt pretty bad. I cleaned it up, put it back together and WAPOW, Fired right up!! By the way it acted I was kinda stumped at first, but as always go to the basics first. Aggravating I didn't finish the race, but glad I found it pretty quick.
By the way it acted last night I wouldn't have ever thought it was just a cap and rotor problem.

TS1955 08-30-2009 03:34 PM

Sometimes it's the simple things that make you scratch your head! Glad you found it though!

TS1955

fla1976 08-30-2009 03:39 PM

Problem

I guess it is always best to go back to the basics. Seems to solve most problems. Good trouble shooting. Glad you solved it. Now get back to the track.

TheYellaBrick 08-30-2009 05:09 PM

Reminds me of my air-cooled VW days and the time of that new fangled electronic Bosch fuel injection systems in the Type III's and then Bugs and Buses. I'd spend HOURS upon, AGGRAVATING HOURS, trying to find what the heck was wrong, only to end up cleaning a hidden and corroded ground strap and make 'em run like,....well a VW.

rob41willys 08-30-2009 08:30 PM

I know many have heard this before but it deserves repeating. Just remember the KISS rule.
Keep It Simple Stupid It works for me

DirkaDirka 08-30-2009 08:44 PM

We all can be glad it wasnt a bigger problem than what it was. That was a great find.

TheRabbit 08-31-2009 04:04 AM

Originally Posted by rob41willys
I know many have heard this before but it deserves repeating. Just remember the KISS rule.
Keep It Simple Stupid It works for me

X2

When a weird problem happens I always think what was I doing or what happened when it started. That's kinda what threw me off on this one. I guess the bump had nothing to do with the problem on this one. We were just talking about fuel cell foam and I couldn't help but think all the bouncing caused some foam or trash to get in the carb.

Cap and rotor button problems are just another reason to run a crank trigger. I'll be switching to one this winter when I re-ring it.

THERATTLER 08-31-2009 04:39 AM

SORRY , RABBIT , BUT YOU WILL STILL HAVE A CAP AND ROTOR BUTTON TO DEAL WITH , TWICE IN MY RACING CAREER I HAVE HAD ROTOR BUTTON FAILURE , BOTH TIMES ON THE STARTING LINE AFTER THE BURN OUT AND STARTING TO STAGE , THEY BOTH WERE MSD ROTORS... GOOD PART ABOUT THE CRANK TRIGGER IS A WHOLE LOT MORE ACCURATE TIMING AND YOU CAN PHASE THE ROTOR TO THE CAP. :D PAUL (didn't realize i was on capitals)

TheRabbit 08-31-2009 06:48 AM

You are right. I was thinking one thing and kinda type a half azz other :oops:
What I was thinking was my distributor is probably 5 or 6 years old so it's time to replace it before I have any other peoblems and I want to go crank trigger anyway. With everything being new I should be good for a while.
The way I wrote it didn't quit come out like that :oops:

THERATTLER 08-31-2009 07:53 AM

still the best way to go :D