Racingjunk Forums

Racingjunk Forums (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tech (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Longest stroke in a Merlin block (https://www.racingjunk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31087)

rrrdad 10-10-2011 02:44 PM

Longest stroke in a Merlin block

Just like it says. What is the longest stroke you can put in a merlin standard and tall deck?

Tod74 10-11-2011 02:22 PM

4.375 in the 9.8 deck 4.75 in the 10.2" deck

http://www.worldcastings.com/product...vrolet-blocks/

rrrdad 10-11-2011 04:36 PM

ok great... can a 632 be a wet sump?

michael1 10-15-2011 01:11 AM

You can actually put a 4.50 in a 9.8 deck but I wouldn't do it, Scott Shafiroff builds a 598 in a 9.8 deck block. Are you going with a block that has a raised cam?

hammertime 10-15-2011 05:03 AM

Actually you an put a 4.625 in a 9.8 and make a 615 APD does it all the time ;)

michael1 10-17-2011 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by hammertime

That's why I asked about a raised cam block, BES does stuff like that also. APD does alot of testing on all kind of stuff, they had a real good article a couple of years ago on some Big Chief testing that they did. I don't think APD gets as much credit as they should.

hammertime 10-18-2011 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by michael1

That's why I asked about a raised cam block, BES does stuff like that also. APD does alot of testing on all kind of stuff, they had a real good article a couple of years ago on some Big Chief testing that they did. I don't think APD gets as much credit as they should.

Actually do not need a raised cam block. Mine is a 4.5 stroke in a 9.8 deck also.

That article was the start of a major change in cam profiles, the engine was a good friend of mine, he purchased from a big name builder and put a terminator on it. It developed the mystery "alky miss" and did not run nearly as well as it should of. APD was close so John Kyle did a bunch of work and figured it out with a cam he designed. They also have designed some of the best bbc heads on the market.

maxpower671 10-19-2011 08:20 AM

Actually do not need a raised cam block. Mine is a 4.5 stroke in a 9.8 deck also.

That article was the start of a major change in cam profiles, the engine was a good friend of mine, he purchased from a big name builder and put a terminator on it. It developed the mystery "alky miss" and did not run nearly as well as it should of. APD was close so John Kyle did a bunch of work and figured it out with a cam he designed. They also have designed some of the best bbc heads on the market.

like to hear more about this 'alky miss'....is this the miss big inch alky engines develop...and a longer exhaust duration helps clean it up?? :?:

hammertime 10-19-2011 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by maxpower671

like to hear more about this 'alky miss'....is this the miss big inch alky engines develop...and a longer exhaust duration helps clean it up?? :?:

There used to be a article on APD's website but they recently updated it and I can not find it. Maybe search the net for it. Should be APD and Big Duke Head. Exhaust duration is part of it.

michael1 10-21-2011 12:21 AM

That article is the reason that my cam has the specs that is has. APD did alot of testing with the 18* stuff.